Be on the Alert for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Updated 30 weeks ago Edited from a Press Release

CHARLESTON, WV – Following winter storms, there is an increased risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can be produced when fuels do not burn completely. Carbon monoxide can sicken or kill those exposed to high concentrations.

  • If anyone living in the home (including pets) experiences sleepiness, dizziness, headaches, confusion, or weakness, immediately seek fresh air and call the West Virginia Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222.
  •  If anyone is unconscious or having convulsions (seizures), call 911

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, the West Virginia Poison Center offers these tips:

  • Never bring a generator indoors, not even in a basement. Generators emit carbon monoxide and should only be used outdoors.
  • Do not place generators in an attached garage.
  • Never use generators too close to your house or near an open window.
  • Carefully follow the manufacturer's safety and placement instructions for generator use.
  • Have gas appliances checked annually by a professional.
  • Keep all chimneys and flues free of debris.
  • Avoid the use of kerosene heaters indoors or in enclosed areas such as tents.
  • Ensure car tailpipes are clear of snow if anyone is inside of the vehicle.
  • Use battery-operated (or battery-backup) carbon monoxide alarms. Be sure to test the batteries regularly.

About the West Virginia Poison Center:

The West Virginia Poison Center provides comprehensive emergency poison information, prevention and educational resources to West Virginians 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. The WVPC is staffed by nurses, pharmacists and physicians with special training in treatment of poisonings. Located in Charleston, WV, the WVPC is a part of the West Virginia University-Charleston Division.  Toll-free:1-800-222-1222. Website:www.wvpoisoncenter.org.

Comments powered by Disqus