- "Hobbit" will Dominate Boxoffice; "Wild" & "Big Eyes" Slated for Debut
- Buckeye Elite National Basketball Showcase To Take Place in Huntington This Weekend
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 19, 2014
- Marshall Comes from Behind Defeats La. Tech
- OP-ED: Commemorate Universal Children’s Day: End Child Labor
- OP-ED: Do Wars Really Defend America’s Freedom?
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Venezuela in financial difficulty, will Petro Caribe survive?
- Senator Rockefeller to Deliver Farewell Address Thursday on Floor of United States Senate
- Fans can wish Herd good luck with recorded video message
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 18, 2014
Middle school students win Words of Reflection Writing Contest
Charles C. Meyers, Jr., a spring 2013 MU graduate with a Bachelor of Science in engineering, organized the contest as part of his Future Investment Program.
Meyers said the purpose of the contest is for the students to reflect upon their lives and write about obstacles they want to overcome, obstacles they have overcome, inspirational people in their lives, or the impact that they want to make in life.
Meyers said he developed the writing contest in 2012 as a way for the students to realize the value of their own personal stories.
"I am very proud of the seven winners of the Words of Reflection Writing Contest," Meyers said. "I value each of their stories because they wrote from their hearts. Each of us has a story to tell, and these students did an excellent job telling their own personal stories."
For the third consecutive year, the winners attended the university's annual Diversity Breakfast at Marshall on Friday, Feb. 14, which was followed by an awards ceremony in which they received their framed certificates and shared their stories.
The students participated in the contest from Jan. 10 through Jan. 31. MU student volunteers and community members judged the writing contest last week to help Meyers select the winners.
The winners of this year's Words of Reflection Contest are:
- Savannah Salome' Sakhai - "My Cancerous Boulder Defeated"
- Tyrin Mykal Holmes - "My Mom's Fight to Survive"
- Cierra Jade Young - "Forever Different"
- Marilyn Katarina Graves - "Homeless"
- Lauren Evette Young - "Asher's Story"
- Kayla Dawn Porter - "To Venture Outward"
- Samantha Rose Harbour - "Heavier Problems"