- Mayor Williams "unfamiliar" with alleged benefit cuts; Huntington "under" budget
- UPDATED: Police, Fire Leadership Attribute Mismanagement for Possible Deep, Scary Cuts
- Elsa from Frozen Made a Cameo Appearance Leading Huntington Parade, Visits Eastgate Mall Saturday in Cincy IMAGES
- Rooster's Hostesses Dress for Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Fire Prevention Parade Packs Downtown; FAREWELL Elsa of WV Inspired Sing-a-Longs
- Marshall University launches the Dr. Carter G. Woodson Lyceum
- Two defendants headed to prison for methamphetamine trafficking crimes
- Huntington Awaits Plans for Curtailing Budget Overages
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
- HMDA Meets Monday Afternoon
Middle school students win Words of Reflection Writing Contest
Charles C. Meyers, Jr., a spring 2013 MU graduate with a Bachelor of Science in engineering, organized the contest as part of his Future Investment Program.
Meyers said the purpose of the contest is for the students to reflect upon their lives and write about obstacles they want to overcome, obstacles they have overcome, inspirational people in their lives, or the impact that they want to make in life.
Meyers said he developed the writing contest in 2012 as a way for the students to realize the value of their own personal stories.
"I am very proud of the seven winners of the Words of Reflection Writing Contest," Meyers said. "I value each of their stories because they wrote from their hearts. Each of us has a story to tell, and these students did an excellent job telling their own personal stories."
For the third consecutive year, the winners attended the university's annual Diversity Breakfast at Marshall on Friday, Feb. 14, which was followed by an awards ceremony in which they received their framed certificates and shared their stories.
The students participated in the contest from Jan. 10 through Jan. 31. MU student volunteers and community members judged the writing contest last week to help Meyers select the winners.
The winners of this year's Words of Reflection Contest are:
- Savannah Salome' Sakhai - "My Cancerous Boulder Defeated"
- Tyrin Mykal Holmes - "My Mom's Fight to Survive"
- Cierra Jade Young - "Forever Different"
- Marilyn Katarina Graves - "Homeless"
- Lauren Evette Young - "Asher's Story"
- Kayla Dawn Porter - "To Venture Outward"
- Samantha Rose Harbour - "Heavier Problems"