- Fire Prevention Parade IMAGES
- Jury’s decision in favor of plaintiff is a crucial step towards holding DuPont accountable for contamination
- Fire Prevention Parade Passing Keith Albee IMAGES
- FitFest Raises Funds for Ambrose Trail IMAGES
- Presidential finalists named; on-campus interviews to be held Oct. 13-16
- OP ED: Time to Start Campaign to Build Sound Boys and Men
- OP ED: How To Prevent A School Shooter
- Huntington City Council Agenda Tuesday October 13
- St. Joe Boys Soccer Sneaks by Paul Blazer
- Finance Committee Sets Tuesday Meeting
Middle school students win Words of Reflection Writing Contest
Charles C. Meyers, Jr., a spring 2013 MU graduate with a Bachelor of Science in engineering, organized the contest as part of his Future Investment Program.
Meyers said the purpose of the contest is for the students to reflect upon their lives and write about obstacles they want to overcome, obstacles they have overcome, inspirational people in their lives, or the impact that they want to make in life.
Meyers said he developed the writing contest in 2012 as a way for the students to realize the value of their own personal stories.
"I am very proud of the seven winners of the Words of Reflection Writing Contest," Meyers said. "I value each of their stories because they wrote from their hearts. Each of us has a story to tell, and these students did an excellent job telling their own personal stories."
For the third consecutive year, the winners attended the university's annual Diversity Breakfast at Marshall on Friday, Feb. 14, which was followed by an awards ceremony in which they received their framed certificates and shared their stories.
The students participated in the contest from Jan. 10 through Jan. 31. MU student volunteers and community members judged the writing contest last week to help Meyers select the winners.
The winners of this year's Words of Reflection Contest are:
- Savannah Salome' Sakhai - "My Cancerous Boulder Defeated"
- Tyrin Mykal Holmes - "My Mom's Fight to Survive"
- Cierra Jade Young - "Forever Different"
- Marilyn Katarina Graves - "Homeless"
- Lauren Evette Young - "Asher's Story"
- Kayla Dawn Porter - "To Venture Outward"
- Samantha Rose Harbour - "Heavier Problems"