- Contaminated Scrap Metal Stolen in 70s from Huntington AEC Plant
- REVISIT: 2014 Story on Pilot Plant by HD Contained Lapses
- Two pill dealers sentenced to Federal prison for drug crimes
- Cannabis To Be Planted Legally in WV For The 1st time In 70 years
- Marshall to offer ACT math camps this summer
- Detroit heroin dealer pleads guilty to Federal drug crime
- Manchin, Klobuchar, Shaheen, King, Heitkamp, Baldwin Introduce Budgeting for Opioid Addiction Treatment Act
- FIRST LOOK MOVIE: "Apocalypse" Arises and Claims a Top Rank Among Super Hero Films
- WV Boys High School Lacrosse All State Announced
- Foreclosure Rates in Huntington-Ashland Decrease
Middle school students win Words of Reflection Writing Contest
Charles C. Meyers, Jr., a spring 2013 MU graduate with a Bachelor of Science in engineering, organized the contest as part of his Future Investment Program.
Meyers said the purpose of the contest is for the students to reflect upon their lives and write about obstacles they want to overcome, obstacles they have overcome, inspirational people in their lives, or the impact that they want to make in life.
Meyers said he developed the writing contest in 2012 as a way for the students to realize the value of their own personal stories.
"I am very proud of the seven winners of the Words of Reflection Writing Contest," Meyers said. "I value each of their stories because they wrote from their hearts. Each of us has a story to tell, and these students did an excellent job telling their own personal stories."
For the third consecutive year, the winners attended the university's annual Diversity Breakfast at Marshall on Friday, Feb. 14, which was followed by an awards ceremony in which they received their framed certificates and shared their stories.
The students participated in the contest from Jan. 10 through Jan. 31. MU student volunteers and community members judged the writing contest last week to help Meyers select the winners.
The winners of this year's Words of Reflection Contest are:
- Savannah Salome' Sakhai - "My Cancerous Boulder Defeated"
- Tyrin Mykal Holmes - "My Mom's Fight to Survive"
- Cierra Jade Young - "Forever Different"
- Marilyn Katarina Graves - "Homeless"
- Lauren Evette Young - "Asher's Story"
- Kayla Dawn Porter - "To Venture Outward"
- Samantha Rose Harbour - "Heavier Problems"