- UPDATE: Fire Ravages Morris Building; Fire Damage Contained to Roof, Elevator Shaft
- Huntington Area Responders Work Together to Contain Blaze in City Landmark
- NASCAR: Jeff Gordon wins record fifth NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Indy
- Huntington Police Shoot, Kill Man at Third Avenue Bar
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Garner Files': Jim Rockford a Curmudgeon? Say It Ain't So!
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Lucky Us': Amy Bloom Hits a Home Run with a Funny Novel of Life in 1940's America -- With a Peek at Post-War Britain
- Council Meets Monday Night
- WV Health Organizations Unite to Prevent Cancer in WV
- OP-ED: Some Thoughts on Provocation
- This is Mindy: And this is how I destroyed her life by making her a porn star
Morrisey: House Bill 4490 creates a “constitutional crisis and puts at risk the core functions of the Attorney General’s Office.”
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 06:00 Updated 22 weeks ago From a News Release by WV Attorney General Patrick Morrisey
“This legislation creates a constitutional crisis and puts at risk the core functions of the Attorney General’s Office by changing the legal standards under which we can pursue claims and represent the state.
“Specifically, I have at least four concerns about the House Bill 4490:
- It establishes new legal standards for one office, but does not require legislators, the Governor, Supreme Court of Appeals justices or other members of the Board of Public Works to adhere to the same rules.
- The bill puts at risk ongoing investigations by our Office that target corruption and violations of our state’s consumer protection laws.
- The legislation also would gut the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division because funding would be dramatically reduced under HB 4490.
- House Bill 4490 unconstitutionally seeks to grind to a halt the Office’s efforts to protect the Second Amendment, fight for coal jobs and take on President Obama’s overreach by limiting the Office’s ability to independently decide whether to file amicus briefs.
### A copy of the letter may be found at http://bit.ly/1e4ZrZk