- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 19, 2014
- IMAGES: Marshall Arts Center Dedication
- Cpl. Goheen Retires from Huntington Police Department
- WV Broadcasting Hall of Fame announces 2014 inductees
- REALTORS: Existing-Home Sales Lose Momentum in August as Investor Activity Declines
- Reporter Threatened with Arrest for Obstruction for Attempting to Intervene in Teen's NRA T-Shirt Case
- Huntington mayor, Supreme Court justices entered in quoits tournament
- Huntington Council Announces Agenda
- UPDATED: Dueling Drug Gangsters Hack Their Fates Through Thrilling "Tombstone"
- United Way Fall Campaign to kick off Sept. 22 on Marshall University’s Huntington campus
Morrisey: House Bill 4490 creates a “constitutional crisis and puts at risk the core functions of the Attorney General’s Office.”
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 06:00 Updated 30 weeks ago From a News Release by WV Attorney General Patrick Morrisey
“This legislation creates a constitutional crisis and puts at risk the core functions of the Attorney General’s Office by changing the legal standards under which we can pursue claims and represent the state.
“Specifically, I have at least four concerns about the House Bill 4490:
- It establishes new legal standards for one office, but does not require legislators, the Governor, Supreme Court of Appeals justices or other members of the Board of Public Works to adhere to the same rules.
- The bill puts at risk ongoing investigations by our Office that target corruption and violations of our state’s consumer protection laws.
- The legislation also would gut the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division because funding would be dramatically reduced under HB 4490.
- House Bill 4490 unconstitutionally seeks to grind to a halt the Office’s efforts to protect the Second Amendment, fight for coal jobs and take on President Obama’s overreach by limiting the Office’s ability to independently decide whether to file amicus briefs.
### A copy of the letter may be found at http://bit.ly/1e4ZrZk