- BOOK REVIEW: 'Leaving Time': A Good Introduction to Jodi Picoult's Works If You've Never Read Her; Fulfills Expectations If You're a Fan
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Oct. 22, 2014
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Oct. 20, 2014
- Police Personnel Alterations Mount Drug Arrests
- Anti Drug Rally, Picnic October 25
- US Attorney, Law Enforcement, Treatment Professionals Announce Heroin Treatment Initiative
- At Least 14 File for District Two Seat
- River to Jail Nets two Arrests Monday Evening
- NAHB: Statement from NAHB Chairman Kevin Kelly on New Mortgage Standards
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Waging Peace: Global Adventures of a Lifelong Activist'
Morrisey: House Bill 4490 creates a “constitutional crisis and puts at risk the core functions of the Attorney General’s Office.”
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 06:00 Updated 34 weeks ago From a News Release by WV Attorney General Patrick Morrisey
“This legislation creates a constitutional crisis and puts at risk the core functions of the Attorney General’s Office by changing the legal standards under which we can pursue claims and represent the state.
“Specifically, I have at least four concerns about the House Bill 4490:
- It establishes new legal standards for one office, but does not require legislators, the Governor, Supreme Court of Appeals justices or other members of the Board of Public Works to adhere to the same rules.
- The bill puts at risk ongoing investigations by our Office that target corruption and violations of our state’s consumer protection laws.
- The legislation also would gut the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division because funding would be dramatically reduced under HB 4490.
- House Bill 4490 unconstitutionally seeks to grind to a halt the Office’s efforts to protect the Second Amendment, fight for coal jobs and take on President Obama’s overreach by limiting the Office’s ability to independently decide whether to file amicus briefs.
### A copy of the letter may be found at http://bit.ly/1e4ZrZk