- Five to be inducted into Marshall’s College of Business Hall of Fame
- Costumes and Comic Books Bring Out the Tricon Nerds IMAGES
- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- UPDATING ... Can any Film Overcome 'Furious 7's' Repeated Vehicular Suicide Stunts
- HMDA Schedules Special Meeting to Transfer One Million Dollars to Pay Off Parking Lot Bonds
- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: Lincoln Electric Celebrates 81 Uninterrupted Years of Paying Employee Profit-Sharing Bonus
- OP-ED: Our Christmas Schizophrenia
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 23, 2014
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 22, 2014
- Toy Train Party to Raise Money for Needy Children
Morrisey: House Bill 4490 creates a “constitutional crisis and puts at risk the core functions of the Attorney General’s Office.”
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 06:00 Updated 1 year ago From a News Release by WV Attorney General Patrick Morrisey
“This legislation creates a constitutional crisis and puts at risk the core functions of the Attorney General’s Office by changing the legal standards under which we can pursue claims and represent the state.
“Specifically, I have at least four concerns about the House Bill 4490:
- It establishes new legal standards for one office, but does not require legislators, the Governor, Supreme Court of Appeals justices or other members of the Board of Public Works to adhere to the same rules.
- The bill puts at risk ongoing investigations by our Office that target corruption and violations of our state’s consumer protection laws.
- The legislation also would gut the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division because funding would be dramatically reduced under HB 4490.
- House Bill 4490 unconstitutionally seeks to grind to a halt the Office’s efforts to protect the Second Amendment, fight for coal jobs and take on President Obama’s overreach by limiting the Office’s ability to independently decide whether to file amicus briefs.
### A copy of the letter may be found at http://bit.ly/1e4ZrZk