- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 17, 2014
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 19, 2014
- Marshall University celebrates grand opening of ‘world-class’ Visual Arts Center in downtown Huntington
- WVDNR Law Enforcement officers seize illegally harvested ginseng in southern West Virginia
- RECALLS THIS WEEK: Fire Alarm Base, Children's Swings, and Other Product Recalls
- FEMA Region III Promotes Action for America’s PrepareAthon
- OP-ED: The Peoples Climate March and International Day of Peace – Making the Connection
- Barboursville Pharmacy Owner Arraigned on Drug Distribution, Money Laundering Charges
- Three Arrestees Now Face Wanton Endangerment Charges for Whiskey Rocks Shooting Spree
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 16, 2014
Honoring the Waters Events Feb. 25
Patricia K. Tull is Professor Emerita of Old Testament at Louisville Presbyterian Seminary. She is the author of several books, including Esther and Ruth in the Interpretation Bible Studies series; Isaiah 1-39 in the Smyth and Helwys Bible Commentary series; and the 2001-02 Horizons Bible Study, Esther’s Feast: A Study of the Book of Esther. An ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), she also writes a monthly column on ecological dimensions of upcoming lectionary passages at WorkingPreacher.org. http://inhabitingeden.org
February 25: 11:30 am – 1:30 p.m. Sustainability Lunch & Learn at Marshall University, BE5 Memorial Student Center, Guest Speaker: Jill Watkins. Topic: Resilient Building Design
According to the Resilient Design Institute, resilient design is defined as "the intentional design of buildings, landscapes, communities, and regions in response to vulnerabilities to disaster and disruption of normal life."
So, how do we design buildings so they survive severe weather and natural disasters? How can we ensure that they remain durable over time? We'll answer these questions and more in this big picture view of sustainable design.
Jill Watkins, Principal with Watkins Design Works, is an NCIDQ-Certified interior designer with over 20 years of experience in commercial interior design, and over 16 years devoted to sustainable design.
Lunch is provided. RSVP here.http://www.marshall.edu/calendar/index.php?eID=71099
February 25- 26. WVU law school to explore the legal and environmental legacy of the Buffalo Creek disaster. Feb. 26 marks the 42nd anniversary of the collapse of an earthen dam along Buffalo Creek after heavy rain. It unleashed a flood that killed 125 people, injured 1,100 and left about 4,000 homeless. More in the Gazette.
Additional info here. http://www.ohvec.org/events_calendar/feb-25-26.php