- Adding Beauty to the Fall at Barboursville Park
- UP CLOSE: Preparing to "Jump" and Taking the "Plunge" on Bridge Day Images
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Oct. 23, 2014
- Man Arrested on 8th Avenue for Heroin Delivery
- Two Members of Newman Drug Gang Enter Guilty Pleas
- Preventing Substance Abuse and Mental Illness
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Unveiling the Mind': Poems by Chicago Writer Beatriz Badikian-Gartler Reach Out to Readers
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Scotland’s Independence: Does it matter?
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Oct. 22, 2014
- Detroit Man Arrested for Heroin Distribution
Marshall Recreation Center Indoor Triathlon raises funds
The triathlon raised $2,000 for NECCO and $500 for Student Development at the Marshall Recreation Center. NECCO uses donations to provide children in the program with theme park tickets, gymnastic classes, sports equipment and other activities that grant normal childhood experiences. Student Development funds are used towards students interested in a future in the field of fitness and recreation.
The race brought in 127 participants and consisted of each competitor swimming 300 yards, biking eight miles on a spinning bike and running two miles on a treadmill. Overall winners of the triathlon were Kayla Edwards and Nick Nance.
"The money goes towards expenses that all kids incur such as baseball uniforms, prom gowns, summer camp fees, expensive birthday and Christmas presents," said Stephanie Vlahos, race co-director and a NECCO employee. "Many of the foster kids come to NECCO with a plastic bag filled with their belongings. The state provides funding for necessities, but it doesn't cover everything. This fund allows us to insure that foster kids are awarded the same privileges as all kids in the community."For more information on the Marshall Recreation Center, visit http://www.marshallcampusrec.com/.