- Second What's Next Huntington Draws Crowd to HHS
- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- Led by Miami Duo, @HerdFB Wins Inaugural Boca Raton Bowl
- "American Sniper" Likely to Dominate Boxoffice Again
- YEAR-END SPORTS OP-ED: Sports Crazy (or Just Crazy About Things That Matter Very Little)
- OP-ED: How Prosecutors Think
- OP-ED: Our Christmas Schizophrenia
- FINAL... Marshall 52, Northern Illinois 23
- New Year's Day Hike at Ritter Park
- Discover some of West Virginia’s state park lodges in January 2015 with a “WV50” $50 room rate
Marshall Recreation Center Indoor Triathlon raises funds
The triathlon raised $2,000 for NECCO and $500 for Student Development at the Marshall Recreation Center. NECCO uses donations to provide children in the program with theme park tickets, gymnastic classes, sports equipment and other activities that grant normal childhood experiences. Student Development funds are used towards students interested in a future in the field of fitness and recreation.
The race brought in 127 participants and consisted of each competitor swimming 300 yards, biking eight miles on a spinning bike and running two miles on a treadmill. Overall winners of the triathlon were Kayla Edwards and Nick Nance.
"The money goes towards expenses that all kids incur such as baseball uniforms, prom gowns, summer camp fees, expensive birthday and Christmas presents," said Stephanie Vlahos, race co-director and a NECCO employee. "Many of the foster kids come to NECCO with a plastic bag filled with their belongings. The state provides funding for necessities, but it doesn't cover everything. This fund allows us to insure that foster kids are awarded the same privileges as all kids in the community."For more information on the Marshall Recreation Center, visit http://www.marshallcampusrec.com/.