- Man Arrested in West End of Huntingtotn for Possession
- CSB Releases Final Report into 2014 Freedom Industries Mass Contamination of Charleston, West Virginia Drinking Water
- Columbus Police Issue Heroin Destruction Order after more than 30 Overdoses
- Attorney General Morrisey Fights To Protect Coal Jobs At Crucial Moment
- Hallowed WTC Steel Relics Arrive in Huntington IMAGES
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Marshall University’s Department of Communication Disorders to honor former faculty member for $100K contribution
- "What the Night Can Do" begins filming in Lewisburg Sep. 26
- Hundreds of Nonprofit Organizations Join to Demand Reform of "Rogue" Agency
- LOCKMED Hopes to Bring Awareness of Securing Medication During National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month
Marshall Recreation Center Indoor Triathlon raises funds
The triathlon raised $2,000 for NECCO and $500 for Student Development at the Marshall Recreation Center. NECCO uses donations to provide children in the program with theme park tickets, gymnastic classes, sports equipment and other activities that grant normal childhood experiences. Student Development funds are used towards students interested in a future in the field of fitness and recreation.
The race brought in 127 participants and consisted of each competitor swimming 300 yards, biking eight miles on a spinning bike and running two miles on a treadmill. Overall winners of the triathlon were Kayla Edwards and Nick Nance.
"The money goes towards expenses that all kids incur such as baseball uniforms, prom gowns, summer camp fees, expensive birthday and Christmas presents," said Stephanie Vlahos, race co-director and a NECCO employee. "Many of the foster kids come to NECCO with a plastic bag filled with their belongings. The state provides funding for necessities, but it doesn't cover everything. This fund allows us to insure that foster kids are awarded the same privileges as all kids in the community."For more information on the Marshall Recreation Center, visit http://www.marshallcampusrec.com/.