- ISIS Troops One Mile from Baghdad
- Huntington District artifacts transferred to the Veterans Curation Program
- Ciccarelli named Huntington’s next chief of police
- CFPB Takes Action Against Flagstar Bank for Violating New Mortgage Servicing Rules; Flagstar to Pay $37.5 Million for Blocking Mortgage Borrowers' Attempts to Save Their Homes
- Marshall's Department of Social Work provides job opportunities to students through child welfare program
- Multi-million dollar federal grant renewed for Marshall researchers and statewide collaborators
- Marshall's Health Informatics program ranked No. 1 most affordable in the nation
- Perdue: WV Must Broaden Energy Portfolio and Reenergize Chemical Industry
- Huntington Receives Department of Justice Crime Fighting Grant
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 24, 2014
Marshall Recreation Center Indoor Triathlon raises funds
The triathlon raised $2,000 for NECCO and $500 for Student Development at the Marshall Recreation Center. NECCO uses donations to provide children in the program with theme park tickets, gymnastic classes, sports equipment and other activities that grant normal childhood experiences. Student Development funds are used towards students interested in a future in the field of fitness and recreation.
The race brought in 127 participants and consisted of each competitor swimming 300 yards, biking eight miles on a spinning bike and running two miles on a treadmill. Overall winners of the triathlon were Kayla Edwards and Nick Nance.
"The money goes towards expenses that all kids incur such as baseball uniforms, prom gowns, summer camp fees, expensive birthday and Christmas presents," said Stephanie Vlahos, race co-director and a NECCO employee. "Many of the foster kids come to NECCO with a plastic bag filled with their belongings. The state provides funding for necessities, but it doesn't cover everything. This fund allows us to insure that foster kids are awarded the same privileges as all kids in the community."For more information on the Marshall Recreation Center, visit http://www.marshallcampusrec.com/.