- Mayoral Candidate Alleges Mayor, Council "Embarassed" by Towing Outcry; Council Allegedly Persecutes Disabled Member for Backing Ordinance
- Greenbrier County man pleads guilty to Federal crime involving oxycodone
- ANALYSIS: Efficency versus Dissent Collides at Council Meeting
- DuPont and Chemours to hold AGMs without addressing growing C-8 issue in U.S., Europe, and Asia
- Movie about terrorism told by 9/11 survivors and veterans being filmed in West Virginia.
- Huntington's Harm Reduction Program Merits D.C. Visit
- AT&T Announces Nearly 60 Jobs Available in Huntington
- Marshall School of Medicine establishes new dentistry department
- Renewable Energy in West Virginia: Projects and Prospects subject of 2016 conference in Huntington
- Huntington advances to finals of America’s Best Communities competition
Marshall Recreation Center Indoor Triathlon raises funds
The triathlon raised $2,000 for NECCO and $500 for Student Development at the Marshall Recreation Center. NECCO uses donations to provide children in the program with theme park tickets, gymnastic classes, sports equipment and other activities that grant normal childhood experiences. Student Development funds are used towards students interested in a future in the field of fitness and recreation.
The race brought in 127 participants and consisted of each competitor swimming 300 yards, biking eight miles on a spinning bike and running two miles on a treadmill. Overall winners of the triathlon were Kayla Edwards and Nick Nance.
"The money goes towards expenses that all kids incur such as baseball uniforms, prom gowns, summer camp fees, expensive birthday and Christmas presents," said Stephanie Vlahos, race co-director and a NECCO employee. "Many of the foster kids come to NECCO with a plastic bag filled with their belongings. The state provides funding for necessities, but it doesn't cover everything. This fund allows us to insure that foster kids are awarded the same privileges as all kids in the community."For more information on the Marshall Recreation Center, visit http://www.marshallcampusrec.com/.