- Huntington Police Shoot, Kill Man at Third Avenue Bar
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 30, 2014
- Water Damage Severe inside Morris Building Apartment
- WV Attorney General Sues over Obamacare
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Garner Files': Jim Rockford a Curmudgeon? Say It Ain't So!
- Huntington Council Passes Highlawn Zoning, Clears Charter Votes for Second Reading
- Former Morris Occupant Reveals “in the Kitchen You Can See the Sky…”
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 28, 2014
- Huntington Skateboard Park Exceeds Fund Raising Goals, Phase I Open by December 31
- UPDATE: Fire Ravages Morris Building; Fire Damage Contained to Roof, Elevator Shaft
Huntington Will Be a Certified Arts Community
To be eligible for the CAC designation, communities must support arts organizations by providing volunteer governance, financial contributions and audiences for arts programming; adopt a resolution indicating recognition of the importance of the arts to economic development, educational quality and civic involvement; and demonstrate successful collaborations between arts, humanities and heritage groups, and business leaders and jurisdictional agencies.
As he explained the resolution, Williams referred to "hearing the youngsters upstairs rehearsing," as an example of the city's community development strategy that encourages the arts.
"When we have been at our height, arts have flourished," Williams said, continuing, "when we have been at the lowest point, the arts have seen that we did not stay down too long."
Councilman David Ball praised the arts community and the city's museums. "If people can not see us as an arts community, you're blind," he said.
The Mayor subtly noted that Huntington has received the designation before Charleston.
In addition to tourism and collaboration, council woman Joyce Clark stressed the designation will make it easier "especially small groups" in applying for grants to solidify their organizations and promote their group.
The third arts summit for Huntington will be Tuesday, April 8 at the Big Sandy Superstore Conference Center.