- ISIS Troops One Mile from Baghdad
- Huntington District artifacts transferred to the Veterans Curation Program
- Ciccarelli named Huntington’s next chief of police
- CFPB Takes Action Against Flagstar Bank for Violating New Mortgage Servicing Rules; Flagstar to Pay $37.5 Million for Blocking Mortgage Borrowers' Attempts to Save Their Homes
- Marshall's Department of Social Work provides job opportunities to students through child welfare program
- Multi-million dollar federal grant renewed for Marshall researchers and statewide collaborators
- Marshall's Health Informatics program ranked No. 1 most affordable in the nation
- Huntington Receives Department of Justice Crime Fighting Grant
- Precautionary Boil Water Advisory Lifted for 85 Customers in Huddleston Ave Area of Barboursville
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 24, 2014
Green Day’s American Idiot to Invade the Keith Albee Performing Arts Center
American Idiot is the winner of two Tony Awards and has been thrilling audiences all across the country since its Broadway debut at the St. James Theatre in March of 2010. A subsequent national tour in December of 2011 beginning in Toronto lifted the musical to even new heights. Bringing a punk style to Broadway never before seen, American Idiot is hitting fans with a bold and aggressive message. Fans of Green Day will be blown away by this transcendent musical with its intense storyline.
A 2010 Tony Award-Nominated Best Musical and GRAMMY Award winner of Best Musical Show Album, American Idiot gives an uncensored look at the misguided lives of suburban youths. In performing this Broadway musical, the cast felt it important to stay true to the music featured in the show. Audience members can expect to hear little dialogue between songs. And while the story told through song is in no way linear, its impact is clearly felt by all of those in attendance.
Many of the great hits from Green Day’s groundbreaking album are featured in the musical. These include "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," "21 Guns," "Wake me up when September Ends," "Holiday," and the explosive hit "American Idiot" from the group’s 2004 GRAMMY Award-winning album. Through the music of Green Day, American Idiot gives voice to youths in a restricted society. And American Idiot seems to communicate with these youths not through traditional theatrics, but rather through artistry and execution.
Set in the mid 2000’s, this musical focuses on three friends – Johnny, Will, and Tunny, who are desperate to leave their California suburb shortly after 9/11. Although they decide to move to the city, Will is held back by his recently impregnated girlfriend. In the meantime, Tunny loses interest in city life and ultimately joins the military while Johnny experiences battles with drug addiction and heart break.
Much praise has been handed down from media outlets since American Idiot’s Broadway debut, but perhaps no source better summarizes what the musical is all about than the Washington Post. In a 2010 article, Peter Marks states: “Presented in a visually dazzling package, with coolly aggressive dance steps and the group’s exhilarating songs, the show qualifies as a pulsating album in three dimensions, a gallery of zestfully choreographed music videos. The 90 minutes make for such stimulating spectacle…”American Idiot is sponsored by First State Bank, The WV Dept. of Education & The Arts – Kay Goodwin, Cabinet Secretary, KEE 100, The Brew, WSAZ, The Herald Dispatch, Marshall University, and the Marshall Artists Series. Tickets for American Idiot are $65.06/56.50/51.15. To secure your ticket to this heart-pumping musical, be sure to contact the Marshall Artists Series Box Office at 304-696-6656. Or order tickets online at Ticketmaster.com You may also visit our box office located in the Joan C. Edwards Playhouse on the Marshall University campus. Box office hours are Monday through Friday 12 p.m.-5 p.m