- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Aug. 20, 2014
- City Welcomes Intern for Promoting Events
- Early Childhood Education Providers in West Virginia to Receive Online Resource Platform Developed by CCA For Social Good
- Green and White High School Football Record Setter on Screen
- CoreLogic: U.S. Had 49,000 Completed Foreclosures in June; Foreclosure inventory down 35 percent nationally from a year ago
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Aug. 19, 2014
- Marshall University to host Thundering Herd community kick-off event
- CFPB Takes Action Against Auto Finance Company for Distorting Borrower Credit Reports; First Investors Fined $2.75 Million for Knowingly Providing Inaccurate Information to Credit Reporting Agencies for Years
- Come and Be 'Frozen' by Elsa at Art Walk; Pullman Concert Series Follows
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: No Caribbean Appetite for a Rum Fight
Mine Disaster Documentary Labeled Propoganda
At the film's prelude an infomercial styled statement: “The experts interviewed in this documentary are commenting on forensic evidence and scientific principles. Their participation in this documentary is not in association or affiliation with Don Blankenship nor with one other.” One of the "experts" is sitting WV Senator Joe Manchin. He wants his segment exorcised.
A version of the film can be found here from youtube. After Sen. Manchin demanded removal of his segments, it's unclear whether they have been in part or all deleted. Initially, one viewable segment had him seated and speaking of mine safety.
The Senator claims that the film company duped him. He did not know the production was funded by Don Blankenship who was CEO of Massey Coal when the Upper Big Branch disaster occurred.
Mancin's response has been swift:
U.S. Senator Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) today sent a letter to Adroit Films, the firm that filmed and produced the Don Blankenship-funded documentary, demanding the company to remove this propaganda from all websites, discontinue the distribution of the film and delete all references of Senator Manchin’s name, image and representation. Senator Manchin’s office has repeatedly attempted to contact Adroit Films via phone and email.
Senator Manchin wrote, in part: “Your fraudulent behavior in securing the interview and your misrepresentation of my interview are actionable offenses. I expect you to cease distribution of this film and remove any references to my name, image, and likeness. Please respond to this letter in writing immediately to confirm what actions you are taking in response to my request.”
Please read the full text of Senator Manchin’s letter below.
Adroit Films, LLC
805 Live Oak Dr #102
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Dear Mr. Totheroh:
I write to demand you cease and desist the distribution of your documentary, “Upper Big Branch – Never Again,” posted yesterday, March 31, 2014, remove the documentary from any websites where you posted it, and remove any and all references to my name, image, and likeness from the film.
On March 24, 2014, your firm interviewed me for a documentary, which you claimed was related to “mine safety” and would be “dedicated to the victims’ families from [the Upper Big Branch mine disaster.]” In fact, this is a film by Don Blankenship, an individual under investigation for his role in the deaths of 29 brave miners. Your omission of this material fact was a gross misrepresentation of the true purpose of your film. Further, I would never have consented to the interview if I had known of your association with Mr. Blankenship.
Your deliberate acts of omission and misrepresentation are compounded by the final product. Despite my thirty-minute interview, you only dedicated one minute and thirty-two seconds to mine safety – one of the most important issues in West Virginia – in an attempt to vindicate Mr. Blankenship.
Your fraudulent behavior in securing the interview and your misrepresentation of my interview are actionable offenses. I expect you to cease distribution of this film and remove any references to my name, image, and likeness. Please respond to this letter in writing immediately to confirm what actions you are taking in response to my request.
Joe Manchin III
United States Senator
Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/joe-manchin-upper-big-branch-mine-accident-movie-105237.html#ixzz2xgryXDVA
- Manchin's letter (193.21 KB)