- Costumes and Comic Books Bring Out the Tricon Nerds IMAGES
- Labor Hall of Fame Inductees
- BOOK NOTES: 'Beliefs Beyond Belief: Examining Improbable Ideas': Skepticism and its Role in Believing
- Chops and Critters Assist in Celebrating 'Insurgent' Opening in Marquee Lobby
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Don't Make the Black Kids Angry': More Accounts of Violence in the Wake of 'White Girl Bleed a Lot'
- UPDATING ... 'Avengers' Let's Get to Work Oblitering ...CHECK TIMES
- Tri-State Comic Con Expands Amazing Guest List
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: US and Venezuela: Don’t fan the flames, put out the fire
- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- Stat Steps Defined Herd Basketball
Woman Indicted for Identity Theft
According to the indictment, Collins, also known as Shannon Varney, worked as a case worker in the Logan DHHR office in 2009. Collins is charged with using the social security numbers of two deceased individuals to establish false accounts through which she could claim benefits. Collins then accessed the accounts, filed false claims and had benefits mailed to her post office box. Collins also mailed herself two EBT Cards, formerly known as the food stamp program, which she used until December of 2009. The indictment alleges that from April of 2009 to December of 2009, Collins defrauded DHHR out of $52,000.
If convicted, Collins faces up to 20 years in prison for each count of mail fraud, and two years of mandatory incarceration for each count of aggravated identity theft. She also faces up to five years incarceration for the misuse of social security numbers and ten years for the access device fraud.
The investigation was conducted by the Office of the Inspector General for DHHR, assisted by the United States Postal Inspection Service, the Social Security Administration, and the United States Department of Agriculture. Assistant United States Attorney Erik S. Goes is in charge of the prosecution.
Note: The charge contained in the indictment is merely an accusation, and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.