- BREAKING: Huntington Sanitary Board Considers Rate Increase Monday
- Saturday Tsubasacon Cosplay Contest and Skits
- A Super Cosplaying Saturday Afternoon at Tsubasacon
- Friday Tsubasacon 2016 IMAGES Cosplay
- COMMENTARY: Ghost Ship Tragedy Recalls Learrning the Meaning of Off Record Until....
- WVDNR News: 2016 West Virginia deer firearms season fact sheet
- Chesapeake, Ironton Advance in Huntington St. Joe Gold Bracket
- St. Joseph Invitational Basketball Tournament
- 'Real' Beasts Visit Marquee Pullman Celebrating "Fantastic Beasts" Reel Opening IMAGES
- Rooster's Hostesses Dress for Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
Keith Albee Brings Community Together; More Visible Restoration Coming
"It's the only atmospheric theater of its kind in the world" that is still open, Plymale explained. Architect Thomas Lamb designed the Keith Albee with stars in the sky (roof) which compliment the balcony gardens.
Celeste Winters, an arts fund raising consultant and former director of the Marshall Artists Series, now lives in Phoenix, Ariz. where a 20s era atmospheric theater, The Orpheum, has been fully restored. She remembers her first time inside the Keith, not the name of the movie but the grandeur of the women's restroom mirror where she saw herself as a "big girl" and a "movie star."
Winters will develop input for focusing priority restorations. The Society has raised about $60,000 and has a list that equates about twelve million dollars. For instance, the dressing rooms are not in a condition for the use by world class stars. She seeks input on people's memories of the structure. A focus group is planned Friday to discuss the building's meaning to the city.
Dan Gooding, of Greenbrier Capital Corporation, has been involved in theater restoration projects in Morgantown, WV and Cleveland, Ohio, Playhouse Square District. He and his family recently moved to Huntington.
Gooding believes the community can "pull this off quickly" by reaching for deep pockets outside of Huntington.
He too praised the Hyman family for stabilizing the architectural integrity of the theater. "I wish we could all give them a big hug," adding that a lot of times "places like this fall to the wrecking ball without a wince."
Winters stressed that "arts (brings) business," to cities. Heaberlin explained that "when that vertical sign is in operation it brings a vibrance" to downtown. "We need to make that a constant," by developing expanded uses for the building from private receptions to entertainment events. A portion of fund raising will be endowed for programming and marketing costs for building events.
One member of the Keith Albee board has already suggested a symphony orchestra competition.
America's Got Talent Winner Landau Eugene Murphy , a native West Virginian, explained, "I didn't know this place existed until I won," Murphy said. "We have our own Apollo Theater in our state."