- Charleston Had only Three Hour Water Reserve when MCHM Spilled
- UPDATED: Officials Speak of Marshall's Growth During President Kopp's Tenure
- "Hobbit" will Dominate Boxoffice; "Wild" & "Big Eyes" Slated for Debut
- Buckeye Elite National Basketball Showcase To Take Place in Huntington This Weekend
- OP-ED: Do Wars Really Defend America’s Freedom?
- Will Smith, Cara Delevingne Cast as Super Villains in "Suicide Squad"
- OP-ED: Commemorate Universal Children’s Day: End Child Labor
- Deer Hunters in West Virginia harvest 37,277 bucks during the buck firearms season
- Carrolls make major commitment to Marshall University for special projects and scholarships
- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: Lincoln Electric Celebrates 81 Uninterrupted Years of Paying Employee Profit-Sharing Bonus
Keith Albee Brings Community Together; More Visible Restoration Coming
"It's the only atmospheric theater of its kind in the world" that is still open, Plymale explained. Architect Thomas Lamb designed the Keith Albee with stars in the sky (roof) which compliment the balcony gardens.
Celeste Winters, an arts fund raising consultant and former director of the Marshall Artists Series, now lives in Phoenix, Ariz. where a 20s era atmospheric theater, The Orpheum, has been fully restored. She remembers her first time inside the Keith, not the name of the movie but the grandeur of the women's restroom mirror where she saw herself as a "big girl" and a "movie star."
Winters will develop input for focusing priority restorations. The Society has raised about $60,000 and has a list that equates about twelve million dollars. For instance, the dressing rooms are not in a condition for the use by world class stars. She seeks input on people's memories of the structure. A focus group is planned Friday to discuss the building's meaning to the city.
Dan Gooding, of Greenbrier Capital Corporation, has been involved in theater restoration projects in Morgantown, WV and Cleveland, Ohio, Playhouse Square District. He and his family recently moved to Huntington.
Gooding believes the community can "pull this off quickly" by reaching for deep pockets outside of Huntington.
He too praised the Hyman family for stabilizing the architectural integrity of the theater. "I wish we could all give them a big hug," adding that a lot of times "places like this fall to the wrecking ball without a wince."
Winters stressed that "arts (brings) business," to cities. Heaberlin explained that "when that vertical sign is in operation it brings a vibrance" to downtown. "We need to make that a constant," by developing expanded uses for the building from private receptions to entertainment events. A portion of fund raising will be endowed for programming and marketing costs for building events.
One member of the Keith Albee board has already suggested a symphony orchestra competition.
America's Got Talent Winner Landau Eugene Murphy , a native West Virginian, explained, "I didn't know this place existed until I won," Murphy said. "We have our own Apollo Theater in our state."