- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 15, 2014
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 16, 2014
- Five Detroit Men Arrested in Olive Street Drug Raid Following Bar Shooting
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Sues For-Profit Corinthian Colleges for Predatory Lending Scheme; Bureau Seeks More than $500 Million In Relief For Borrowers of Corinthian’s Private Student Loans
- OP-ED: 'Who Speaks for Earth?'
- Former Bank Vice President Made More than $1.4 Million in Bad Loans
- Preventing Substance Abuse and Mental Illness
- Potential Upscale Hotel Approved for Kinetic Park
- Soaring Lap Earns Jeff Gordon Sprint Cup Pole At Michigan
- Council Chairman Will Seek Input Concerning Gilespie Misdemeanor Conviction
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: W. S. Merwin's 'Sight'
a single cell
found that it was full of light
and for the first time there was seeing
I was a bird
I could see where the stars had turned
and I set out on my journey
in the head of a mountain goat
I could see across a valley
under the shining trees something moving
in the green sea
I saw two sides of the water
and swam between them
look at you
in the first light of the morning
for as long as I can
More on this poem and author:
- Click to learn more about W.S. Merwin.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- Enter our Portray Your Love of Poetry Contest.
Excerpt from THE RAIN IN THE TREES. Copyright (c) 1988 by W. S. Merwin. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, LLC, New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.