- Man Arrested in West End of Huntingtotn for Possession
- CSB Releases Final Report into 2014 Freedom Industries Mass Contamination of Charleston, West Virginia Drinking Water
- Attorney General Morrisey Fights To Protect Coal Jobs At Crucial Moment
- Columbus Police Issue Heroin Destruction Order after more than 30 Overdoses
- Hallowed WTC Steel Relics Arrive in Huntington IMAGES
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Marshall University’s Department of Communication Disorders to honor former faculty member for $100K contribution
- "What the Night Can Do" begins filming in Lewisburg Sep. 26
- Hundreds of Nonprofit Organizations Join to Demand Reform of "Rogue" Agency
- LOCKMED Hopes to Bring Awareness of Securing Medication During National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: Sonia Sanchez's 'For Our Lady'
billie. if someone
had loved u like u
shud have been loved
ain't no tellen what
kinds of songs
u wud have swung
gainst this country's wite mind.
or what kinds of lyrics
wud have pushed us from
our blue / nites.
if some blk / man
made u feel
ain't no tellen
where the jazz of yo / songs
wud have led us.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about Jazz Poems, the Everyman's Pocket Poets volume edited by Kevin Young.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- This year we're hosting a contest called "Portray Your Love of Poetry." Submit your entry!
- Excerpt from JAZZ POEMS © 2006 by Everyman's Library. Excerpted by permission of Everyman's Library, a division of Random House, LLC, New York. Poem included by gracious permission of the author. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.