- Saturday Tsubasacon Cosplay Contest and Skits
- Drug Distributors Penalized For Turning Blind Eye In Opioid Epidemic
- Goodwin Announces Run for Mayor of Charleston
- Detroit man pleads guilty to federal heroin crime committed in Huntington
- Retiring YMCA Director Honored
- A Super Cosplaying Saturday Afternoon at Tsubasacon
- Attorney General Morrisey Reaffirms Advice to Local Schools Regarding Transgender Policy
- Big Pharma Quietly Enlists Leading Professors to Justify $1,000-Per-Day Drugs
- Mukherjee appointed dean of Lewis College of Business
- Attorney General DeWine Announces Settlement to Recover Misused Charitable Funds
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: Sonia Sanchez's 'For Our Lady'
billie. if someone
had loved u like u
shud have been loved
ain't no tellen what
kinds of songs
u wud have swung
gainst this country's wite mind.
or what kinds of lyrics
wud have pushed us from
our blue / nites.
if some blk / man
made u feel
ain't no tellen
where the jazz of yo / songs
wud have led us.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about Jazz Poems, the Everyman's Pocket Poets volume edited by Kevin Young.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- This year we're hosting a contest called "Portray Your Love of Poetry." Submit your entry!
- Excerpt from JAZZ POEMS © 2006 by Everyman's Library. Excerpted by permission of Everyman's Library, a division of Random House, LLC, New York. Poem included by gracious permission of the author. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.