- Public advocacy group retains Washington law firm to mount antitrust challenge to proposed Dow-DuPont merger
- Attorney General Morrisey, 21 States Win Gun Rights Victory
- Protecting the integrity of Social Security
- Questions About Proposed Department of Energy Budget Requests
- Council Deliberating Legislative Hate Crime Recommendation
- COLUMN: The Republican Debate: Who Goes First?
- Man Dead in Marcum Terrace Shooting; Police Seek Suspect
- WAAAHHHH…but we don’t wanna get arrested!!
- Mathematics awarded $170K grant from National Security Agency
- Attorney General Morrisey & Coalition Files Response To EPA in U.S. Supreme Court
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: Sonia Sanchez's 'For Our Lady'
billie. if someone
had loved u like u
shud have been loved
ain't no tellen what
kinds of songs
u wud have swung
gainst this country's wite mind.
or what kinds of lyrics
wud have pushed us from
our blue / nites.
if some blk / man
made u feel
ain't no tellen
where the jazz of yo / songs
wud have led us.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about Jazz Poems, the Everyman's Pocket Poets volume edited by Kevin Young.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- This year we're hosting a contest called "Portray Your Love of Poetry." Submit your entry!
- Excerpt from JAZZ POEMS © 2006 by Everyman's Library. Excerpted by permission of Everyman's Library, a division of Random House, LLC, New York. Poem included by gracious permission of the author. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.