- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 19, 2014
- REALTORS: Existing-Home Sales Lose Momentum in August as Investor Activity Declines
- WV Broadcasting Hall of Fame announces 2014 inductees
- Reporter Threatened with Arrest for Obstruction for Attempting to Intervene in Teen's NRA T-Shirt Case
- West Virginia Coal Association Endorses Evan Jenkins
- IMAGES: Marshall Arts Center Dedication
- Lease on Harris Riverfront Park Extended
- Detroit Man Pleads Guilty to Huntington Drug Distribution
- Cpl. Goheen Retires from Huntington Police Department
- Huntington mayor, Supreme Court justices entered in quoits tournament
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: Sonia Sanchez's 'For Our Lady'
billie. if someone
had loved u like u
shud have been loved
ain't no tellen what
kinds of songs
u wud have swung
gainst this country's wite mind.
or what kinds of lyrics
wud have pushed us from
our blue / nites.
if some blk / man
made u feel
ain't no tellen
where the jazz of yo / songs
wud have led us.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about Jazz Poems, the Everyman's Pocket Poets volume edited by Kevin Young.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- This year we're hosting a contest called "Portray Your Love of Poetry." Submit your entry!
- Excerpt from JAZZ POEMS © 2006 by Everyman's Library. Excerpted by permission of Everyman's Library, a division of Random House, LLC, New York. Poem included by gracious permission of the author. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.