- "Suspicious" Horse near Downtown Huntington Reunited with Owner
- Marshall alum wins prestigious NASA award, credits university’s digital forensics program for his success
- Walk with the Mayor Begins, Highlawn Next
- Miller Named Vice President of Bank
- Oak Ridge Demolition of Enriched Uranium Processing Plant Led to Radiation in the City's Sewer Facilities
- Elsa from Frozen Made a Cameo Appearance Leading Huntington Parade, Visits Eastgate Mall Saturday in Cincy IMAGES
- Medical resident to receive national research award for pediatrics work
- Downtown Huntington Sheetz Prepares to Open
- Batman and Batgirl Visit Marquee Pullman with friends for "Lego Batman" debut
- Attorney General Morrisey Partners with Ben Franklin & Carver Career Centers to Battle Drug Epidemic
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: Sonia Sanchez's 'For Our Lady'
billie. if someone
had loved u like u
shud have been loved
ain't no tellen what
kinds of songs
u wud have swung
gainst this country's wite mind.
or what kinds of lyrics
wud have pushed us from
our blue / nites.
if some blk / man
made u feel
ain't no tellen
where the jazz of yo / songs
wud have led us.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about Jazz Poems, the Everyman's Pocket Poets volume edited by Kevin Young.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- This year we're hosting a contest called "Portray Your Love of Poetry." Submit your entry!
- Excerpt from JAZZ POEMS © 2006 by Everyman's Library. Excerpted by permission of Everyman's Library, a division of Random House, LLC, New York. Poem included by gracious permission of the author. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.