- Names Released of Five Arrested in West Huntington Drug Bust
- Soaring Lap Earns Jeff Gordon Sprint Cup Pole At Michigan
- Tickets to all Marshall Artists Series events go on sale Monday, August 18 @ Noon Call 304-696-6656
- USDA Announces $200 Million to Promote Innovation in SNAP Employment and Training Programs
- OP-ED: In Ferguson and Beyond, Militarism Is a Public Safety Crisis
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Scotland’s Independence: Does it matter?
- OP-ED: 'Who Speaks for Earth?'
- SuperTalk 94.1 FM & AM 930 Joins Cavaliers Radio Network
- Former Detroit Man Receives Nine Years Prison for Heroin Distribution
- Softball Freshman D’Orazio Playing at World Championships
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: Sonia Sanchez's 'For Our Lady'
billie. if someone
had loved u like u
shud have been loved
ain't no tellen what
kinds of songs
u wud have swung
gainst this country's wite mind.
or what kinds of lyrics
wud have pushed us from
our blue / nites.
if some blk / man
made u feel
ain't no tellen
where the jazz of yo / songs
wud have led us.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about Jazz Poems, the Everyman's Pocket Poets volume edited by Kevin Young.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- This year we're hosting a contest called "Portray Your Love of Poetry." Submit your entry!
- Excerpt from JAZZ POEMS © 2006 by Everyman's Library. Excerpted by permission of Everyman's Library, a division of Random House, LLC, New York. Poem included by gracious permission of the author. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.