- For Now City Hall Off Limits to Republican Mayoral Candidate in Huntington
- ANALYSIS: Mayoral Candidate Claims Constitutional, Political Interference... or May God Strike Him with a Lightning Bolt
- Huntington Police Make Eight Arrests for Drug Possession
- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Hearing Monday for Mayoral Candidate in Magistrate Court
- Council Passes Union Extensions; Fire Departent Members Line Up in Hallway
- West Virginia American Water Update on Water System Restoration in Flood-Impacted Areas
- Student to compete on NBC’s ‘American Ninja Warrior’ tonight
- A Natsu No Romp for Sailor Moon Crystal and Scouts IMAGES
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: 'To Some Buckets' by Kenneth Koch
To share the poem-a-day experience with friends, pass along this link >>
To Some Buckets
Waiting to fill you, buckets,
One morning it was afternoon
Then evening, all the same except
One time when I filled you
And carried you to the apartment
In which a dog was sitting
I forget its name. He drank thirstily
And well I brought you
To other places too with always
A strain, hurting my arms
For you are heavy you
Are heavy with water filled
Whether it was on Leyte
That I carried you
To fellow soldiers
Or up to the blankets, from the sea,
To some who were too hot. It makes
For giddiness to
Concentrate on you
Concentric buckets - senseless -
You lend your sides to the soul.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about The Collected Poems of Kenneth Koch.
- Browse other titles by Kenneth Koch.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- Submit your entry to our "Portray Your Love of Poetry" contest.
- Download the printable broadside.
Excerpt from The Collected Poems of Kenneth Koch. Copyright (c) 2005 by Kenneth Koch. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, LLC., New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.