- BOOK REVIEW: 'Leaving Time': A Good Introduction to Jodi Picoult's Works If You've Never Read Her; Fulfills Expectations If You're a Fan
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Oct. 20, 2014
- Police Personnel Alterations Mount Drug Arrests
- Huntington Man Arrested on Drug Charges
- Realtors: QRM Rule Will Provide Clarity in Housing Finance Market, Benefit Consumers
- Anti Drug Rally, Picnic October 25
- US Attorney, Law Enforcement, Treatment Professionals Announce Heroin Treatment Initiative
- River to Jail Nets two Arrests Monday Evening
- BREAKING ... At Least Two Arrests After 15 to 20 Armed Police Officers Raid 919 24th Street
- NAHB: Statement from NAHB Chairman Kevin Kelly on New Mortgage Standards
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: 'To Some Buckets' by Kenneth Koch
To share the poem-a-day experience with friends, pass along this link >>
To Some Buckets
Waiting to fill you, buckets,
One morning it was afternoon
Then evening, all the same except
One time when I filled you
And carried you to the apartment
In which a dog was sitting
I forget its name. He drank thirstily
And well I brought you
To other places too with always
A strain, hurting my arms
For you are heavy you
Are heavy with water filled
Whether it was on Leyte
That I carried you
To fellow soldiers
Or up to the blankets, from the sea,
To some who were too hot. It makes
For giddiness to
Concentrate on you
Concentric buckets - senseless -
You lend your sides to the soul.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about The Collected Poems of Kenneth Koch.
- Browse other titles by Kenneth Koch.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- Submit your entry to our "Portray Your Love of Poetry" contest.
- Download the printable broadside.
Excerpt from The Collected Poems of Kenneth Koch. Copyright (c) 2005 by Kenneth Koch. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, LLC., New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.