- A Natsu No Romp for Sailor Moon Crystal and Scouts IMAGES
- Keep Your Promises applauds Credit Suisse for identifying issue of Chemours’ understated liabilities and for demanding more disclosure
- Tornado Watch Continues until 9 p.m. for Cabell County
- Mayor Steve William's Office of Drug Control Policy Invited to White House
- Fracking Poses Threats to Public Health, Say Experts
- OPINION: Revolution's Matchstick: The Trans-Pacific Partnership
- Fire Destroys Parked Car IMAGES
- Pre Christmas Live Theatricals
- Forensic Science Center director addresses W.Va. prosecutors with information on advances in DNA technology
- A Very Merry Christmas Parade Moves Along Fourth Avenue
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: 'To Some Buckets' by Kenneth Koch
To share the poem-a-day experience with friends, pass along this link >>
To Some Buckets
Waiting to fill you, buckets,
One morning it was afternoon
Then evening, all the same except
One time when I filled you
And carried you to the apartment
In which a dog was sitting
I forget its name. He drank thirstily
And well I brought you
To other places too with always
A strain, hurting my arms
For you are heavy you
Are heavy with water filled
Whether it was on Leyte
That I carried you
To fellow soldiers
Or up to the blankets, from the sea,
To some who were too hot. It makes
For giddiness to
Concentrate on you
Concentric buckets - senseless -
You lend your sides to the soul.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about The Collected Poems of Kenneth Koch.
- Browse other titles by Kenneth Koch.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- Submit your entry to our "Portray Your Love of Poetry" contest.
- Download the printable broadside.
Excerpt from The Collected Poems of Kenneth Koch. Copyright (c) 2005 by Kenneth Koch. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, LLC., New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.