- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Aug. 29, 2014
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Scotland’s Independence: Does it matter?
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: No Caribbean Appetite for a Rum Fight
- OP-ED: Michael Brown and America’s Structural Violence Epidemic
- Chief Johnson Shakes Up Huntington Druggies in a Style Reminiscent of John Wayne
- DEVELOPING: Former MU Coach Perry Moss Dead
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Aug. 22, 2014
- OP-ED: 'Who Speaks for Earth?'
- A Dad’s Point-of-View: No One Is More Vicious than…
- Council Chairman Will Seek Input Concerning Gilespie Misdemeanor Conviction
ZILLOW REPORT: Property Taxes Vary Widely Across the Nation, With Homeowners in New York, New Jersey, Colorado Paying Much More Than National Average
The residents of Westchester County just north of New York City in New York pay more in property taxes than the typical resident of any other major American county. The average property tax bill for a single family home in Westchester County comes to $14,829 a year. Bill and Hillary Clinton live in Westchester County.
Adjusting for the average cost of single-family homes in each county, homeowners in Allegany County, NY win the award for the highest property tax burden. The average tax obligation of $2,549 in Allegany County amounts to 3.8 percent of the average single family home value; in Westchester County, the average tax obligation is slightly lower, at 2.5 percent of the county’s average home value. Nationally, the typical homeowner is spending approximately 1.4 percent of their home’s value on annual property taxes. See the full rankings below.
Highest Property Taxes as a Percent of Home Value
- Allegany County, NY (3.76%)
- Milwaukee County, WI (3.68%)
- Kendall County, IL (3.57%)
- Sullivan County, NY (3.56%)
- Orleans County, NY (3.49%)
Lowest Property Taxes as a Percent of Home Value
- Caroline County, VA (0.17%)
- Catahoula County, LA and Randolph AR (0.2%)
- Iberville County, LA and Cumberland County, TN (0.21%)
- Butler County, PA and Maui County, HI (0.22%)
- Elmore County, AL and De Soto parish, LA (0.23%
- Source: zillow.com