- "Hobbit" will Dominate Boxoffice; "Wild" & "Big Eyes" Slated for Debut
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 18, 2014
- Charleston Had only Three Hour Water Reserve when MCHM Spilled
- Will Smith, Cara Delevingne Cast as Super Villains in "Suicide Squad"
- Buckeye Elite National Basketball Showcase To Take Place in Huntington This Weekend
- BOOK REVIEW: 'California Dreaming: Boosterism, Memory, and Rural Suburbs in the Golden State': Detailed Look at Three 'Agriburbs' in Sacramento, Los Angeles Areas
- OP-ED: Do Wars Really Defend America’s Freedom?
- OP-ED: Commemorate Universal Children’s Day: End Child Labor
- UPDATED: Officials Speak of Marshall's Growth During President Kopp's Tenure
- Huntington Pedestrian Killed Wednesday Evening:
ZILLOW REPORT: Property Taxes Vary Widely Across the Nation, With Homeowners in New York, New Jersey, Colorado Paying Much More Than National Average
The residents of Westchester County just north of New York City in New York pay more in property taxes than the typical resident of any other major American county. The average property tax bill for a single family home in Westchester County comes to $14,829 a year. Bill and Hillary Clinton live in Westchester County.
Adjusting for the average cost of single-family homes in each county, homeowners in Allegany County, NY win the award for the highest property tax burden. The average tax obligation of $2,549 in Allegany County amounts to 3.8 percent of the average single family home value; in Westchester County, the average tax obligation is slightly lower, at 2.5 percent of the county’s average home value. Nationally, the typical homeowner is spending approximately 1.4 percent of their home’s value on annual property taxes. See the full rankings below.
Highest Property Taxes as a Percent of Home Value
- Allegany County, NY (3.76%)
- Milwaukee County, WI (3.68%)
- Kendall County, IL (3.57%)
- Sullivan County, NY (3.56%)
- Orleans County, NY (3.49%)
Lowest Property Taxes as a Percent of Home Value
- Caroline County, VA (0.17%)
- Catahoula County, LA and Randolph AR (0.2%)
- Iberville County, LA and Cumberland County, TN (0.21%)
- Butler County, PA and Maui County, HI (0.22%)
- Elmore County, AL and De Soto parish, LA (0.23%
- Source: zillow.com