- Sheetz Development Narrowly Passes Planning Commission
- $2.09 Per Gallon Gas Called Sign Mechanical Problem
- 70 Years of Atomic Bombs: Can We Disarm Yet?
- Senate President Cole, Speaker of the House Armstead Pledge to Defend West Virginia's Coal Mining Industry
- University to partner on $20 million scientific research grant
- Huntington Audit Recommendations Spur City Council Disagreement
- Former A+ Care Pharmacy Sentenced to 64 Months in Federal Prison and Forfeited $2.3 Million and a Lexus
- Super Heroes and Royalty Attract Throngs to Block Party IMAGES
- Complaint alleges Stockert-Sizemore Funeral Home violated the West Virginia Preneed Act and state Consumer Credit and Protection Act.
- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: Lincoln Electric Celebrates 81 Uninterrupted Years of Paying Employee Profit-Sharing Bonus
ZILLOW REPORT: Property Taxes Vary Widely Across the Nation, With Homeowners in New York, New Jersey, Colorado Paying Much More Than National Average
The residents of Westchester County just north of New York City in New York pay more in property taxes than the typical resident of any other major American county. The average property tax bill for a single family home in Westchester County comes to $14,829 a year. Bill and Hillary Clinton live in Westchester County.
Adjusting for the average cost of single-family homes in each county, homeowners in Allegany County, NY win the award for the highest property tax burden. The average tax obligation of $2,549 in Allegany County amounts to 3.8 percent of the average single family home value; in Westchester County, the average tax obligation is slightly lower, at 2.5 percent of the county’s average home value. Nationally, the typical homeowner is spending approximately 1.4 percent of their home’s value on annual property taxes. See the full rankings below.
Highest Property Taxes as a Percent of Home Value
- Allegany County, NY (3.76%)
- Milwaukee County, WI (3.68%)
- Kendall County, IL (3.57%)
- Sullivan County, NY (3.56%)
- Orleans County, NY (3.49%)
Lowest Property Taxes as a Percent of Home Value
- Caroline County, VA (0.17%)
- Catahoula County, LA and Randolph AR (0.2%)
- Iberville County, LA and Cumberland County, TN (0.21%)
- Butler County, PA and Maui County, HI (0.22%)
- Elmore County, AL and De Soto parish, LA (0.23%
- Source: zillow.com