- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
- Man Arrested for Attempted Murder of Huntington Police Officer
- Huntington Police Exeucute 7th Avenue Search Warrent; Six Arrests; Seize Heroin, Guns, Cash
- Huntington Police Make Arrest for Possession, Reports Taken for Destruction of Property, Burglary, Overdose
- A Natsu No Romp for Sailor Moon Crystal and Scouts IMAGES
- Charlotte School of Law Launches Eviction & Homelessness Prevention Clinic; How Do Similar Laws Impact Huntingtotn?
- Parkersburg man sentenced to over 12 years in Federal prison for possessing child pornography
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
- Greenbrier Theatre Seeks Donations to Replace Destroyed Costumes
- Board of Governors approves operating budget, sets tuition and fees for next year
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: 'Bird, Singing: Lucie Brock-Broido's Evocation of Animals Helping Humans
To share the poem-a-day experience with friends, pass along this link >>
Then, every letter opened was an oyster
Of possible bad news, pried apart to reveal
The imperfect probable pearl of your death.
Then, urgent messages still affrighted me, sharp
Noises caused the birds not yet in flight to fly.
Then, this was the life of you.
All your molecules
Gathered for your dying off
Like mollusks clinging to a great ship's hull.
Ceremony of wounds, tinned,
Tiny swaddled starlings soaked in brine.
A bird, singing in his wicker cage, winds down.
Now, a trestle table lined with wooden platters
Neat with feathered wings of quail tucked-in.
Until you sever the thing, from self, it feels.
Thereafter it belongs to none.
You have nothing to be afraid of, anymore.
Outside Prague, I find you warm
Among the million small gold bees set loose
In April's onion show, quietly
Quietly, would you sing this back to me, out loud
More on this poem and author:
- Click here to learn more about Lucie Brock-Broido's Stay, Illusion.
- Browse other titles by Lucie Brock-Broido.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- Enjoy the printable broadside of "Bird, Singing" by clicking here.
- Submit your entry to the Portray Your Love of Poetry contest!
Excerpt from STAY, ILLUSION. Copyright (c) 2013 by Lucie Brock-Broido. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc., New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.