- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Aug. 20, 2014
- Huntington Racing Scheduled for Broadcast
- "If I Stay" Touching, but Confusing
- Green and White High School Football Record Setter on Screen
- Early Childhood Education Providers in West Virginia to Receive Online Resource Platform Developed by CCA For Social Good
- Career Expo for first Physical Therapy graduating class is Tuesday, Aug. 26
- CoreLogic: U.S. Had 49,000 Completed Foreclosures in June; Foreclosure inventory down 35 percent nationally from a year ago
- Marshall University to host Thundering Herd community kick-off event
- CFPB Takes Action Against Auto Finance Company for Distorting Borrower Credit Reports; First Investors Fined $2.75 Million for Knowingly Providing Inaccurate Information to Credit Reporting Agencies for Years
- City Welcomes Intern for Promoting Events
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: 'Bird, Singing: Lucie Brock-Broido's Evocation of Animals Helping Humans
To share the poem-a-day experience with friends, pass along this link >>
Then, every letter opened was an oyster
Of possible bad news, pried apart to reveal
The imperfect probable pearl of your death.
Then, urgent messages still affrighted me, sharp
Noises caused the birds not yet in flight to fly.
Then, this was the life of you.
All your molecules
Gathered for your dying off
Like mollusks clinging to a great ship's hull.
Ceremony of wounds, tinned,
Tiny swaddled starlings soaked in brine.
A bird, singing in his wicker cage, winds down.
Now, a trestle table lined with wooden platters
Neat with feathered wings of quail tucked-in.
Until you sever the thing, from self, it feels.
Thereafter it belongs to none.
You have nothing to be afraid of, anymore.
Outside Prague, I find you warm
Among the million small gold bees set loose
In April's onion show, quietly
Quietly, would you sing this back to me, out loud
More on this poem and author:
- Click here to learn more about Lucie Brock-Broido's Stay, Illusion.
- Browse other titles by Lucie Brock-Broido.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- Enjoy the printable broadside of "Bird, Singing" by clicking here.
- Submit your entry to the Portray Your Love of Poetry contest!
Excerpt from STAY, ILLUSION. Copyright (c) 2013 by Lucie Brock-Broido. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc., New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.