- Forensic Science Graduate Program ranks number one in the nation on national assessment test scores
- HPD Arrest Two for Burglary
- Mayor, City Have Busy Event Schedule
- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
- Remains Believed to be Missing Woman Found
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Spook Hunters Visit Pullman Square Marquee Cinema IMAGES
- OSHA issues call to action for West Virginia employers to supply water, rest and shade for workers in scorching heat
- W.Va. AG Warns Consumers of Government Grant Scam
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Saturday, April 26 is Confederate Memorial Day
An Annual Confederate Memorial Day event will take place this Saturday at the last home and Presidential Library of Confederate President Jefferson Davis on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Beauvoir is owned and operated by the Mississippi Division Sons of Confederate Veterans. Read more at: http://www.beauvoir.org/events/index.html
And the only surviving copy of the permanent Constitution of the Confederate States of America — a part of the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library collections — will be displayed a day earlier on Friday April 25 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Richard B. Russell Special Collections Libraries at the University of Georgia, 300 S. Hull Street, Athens, Georgia. Read more at: http://www.libs.uga.edu/blog/?p=8612
The Confederate History and Heritage Month Committee of the Sons of Confederate Veterans encourages everyone to make it a family affair in attending Confederate Memorial Day activities throughout the USA and teaching your children about the role the men and women of the Southern Confederacy played in our nation’s history. Find out about Confederate Memorial events on our face book at: https://www.facebook.com/ConfederateHeritageMonth
Confederate Memorial Day has been a legal holiday in Georgia since 1874 by an act of the Georgia General Assembly and bill signed by then Governor James Smith, who also served as Confederate Colonel, Lawyer and Congressman and.....
For over 100 years the members of the Ladies Memorial Association, United Daughters of the Confederacy and Sons of Confederate Veterans have kept the tradition of Confederate Memorial Day alive.
The Georgia General Assembly passed Senate Bill No. 27 in 2009 officially and permanently designating April as Confederate History and Heritage Month and signed by Governor Sonny Perdue.
* * *
Calvin E. Johnson, Jr., Chairman of the Confederate History and Heritage Month Committee of the National and Georgia Division Sons of Confederate Veterans. He lives in Kennesaw, GA, near Atlanta, and is a regular contributor to Huntington News Network.