- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
- Orlando Mostly Deserted; This was a 9/11, a Former Huntington Resident Believes
- How Can You Help Flood Recovery in WV?
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- BREAKING... Mayor's Office of Drug Control Policy Gains Honorable Mention at Indianapolis Conference
- City Teams with OVEC to Help WV Flood Victims
- A Natsu No Romp for Sailor Moon Crystal and Scouts IMAGES
- Flooding Closes Greenbrier
- West Virginia American Water Response to Flood-Related Operational Impacts Continues
- West Virginia American Water Responding to Operational Impacts of Widespread Flooding
Auditions for Marco to take place Sunday
This year's Marco was played by two Marshall students, Ben Heil, 19, a junior nursing major from Dayton, Ohio, and Drew Navy, 22, a senior College of Liberal Arts major from Huntington. The next talented bison impersonator will have big hooves to fill. Marco won the 2013-14 Conference USA mascot championship as voted by fans across the country. And, one of the judges of this year's auditions, and an official Marshall mascot consultant, is Dr. Allen Young, who won the national mascot championship in the 1990s when he was an undergraduate.
In addition to the adoration of his thunder-clapping fans, the next Marco will enjoy a partial tuition waiver, free choice parking across from the student center, a book voucher and the privilege of traveling with the Herd's outstanding athletic teams.
Next year marks the 50-year anniversary of Marco the mascot. Since then, dozens of Herd faithful have played the role of Marco, thousands have worn his likeness on their clothing or displayed it on their cars and homes, and millions have seen him on national TV. This Sunday, one or two lucky students will be selected to be the next Marco as he approaches a half-century of cheers for the Thundering Herd.
Applications for Marco are still being accepted. To apply to be Marco, visit www.marshall.edu/bemarco.