- Remains Believed to be Missing Woman Found
- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
- Free Classic Regatta Returns to Huntington
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- President Obama Laments GOP Pulled Over $900 Milion from Recovery Act
- Spook Hunters Visit Pullman Square Marquee Cinema IMAGES
- A Natsu No Romp for Sailor Moon Crystal and Scouts IMAGES
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
- Republicans Convene in Cleveland IMAGES
- Huntington, Cabell County Request State of Emergency; Four Pole Creek Overflows near Ritter Park IMAGES
Auditions for Marco to take place Sunday
This year's Marco was played by two Marshall students, Ben Heil, 19, a junior nursing major from Dayton, Ohio, and Drew Navy, 22, a senior College of Liberal Arts major from Huntington. The next talented bison impersonator will have big hooves to fill. Marco won the 2013-14 Conference USA mascot championship as voted by fans across the country. And, one of the judges of this year's auditions, and an official Marshall mascot consultant, is Dr. Allen Young, who won the national mascot championship in the 1990s when he was an undergraduate.
In addition to the adoration of his thunder-clapping fans, the next Marco will enjoy a partial tuition waiver, free choice parking across from the student center, a book voucher and the privilege of traveling with the Herd's outstanding athletic teams.
Next year marks the 50-year anniversary of Marco the mascot. Since then, dozens of Herd faithful have played the role of Marco, thousands have worn his likeness on their clothing or displayed it on their cars and homes, and millions have seen him on national TV. This Sunday, one or two lucky students will be selected to be the next Marco as he approaches a half-century of cheers for the Thundering Herd.
Applications for Marco are still being accepted. To apply to be Marco, visit www.marshall.edu/bemarco.