- Former Employees Testified Radiation Hazards Near former Huntington Nuclear Weapons Plant
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 22, 2014
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 21, 2014
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Garner Files': Jim Rockford a Curmudgeon? Say It Ain't So!
- Huntington Gets Ready to Regatta
- This is Mindy: And this is how I destroyed her life by making her a porn star
- Marshall Artists Series includes Icons from Jay Leno, Frankie Valli to Disney's Beauty and the Beast
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 18, 2014
- CSB Investigation Finds No Record of Inspections on Freedom Industries Chemical Storage Tanks
- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: My Search for Fair Treatment of Israel on Web News Sites Disappoints Once More with BrasscheckTV
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: 'The Water Seamstress' by Nancy Willard
The Water Seamstress
The bride admires the pleats on the skin
of the sea. So smooth! So cool!
She fingers the waves, some quilted,
some smocked and gathered
like the dress her mother made for herself
to wear at the wedding, and for the pleasure
of making it and for the company of the light
at play on the satin as it poured through her hands,
and for the white frills on the sleeve of each wave
as it sped along the shore, knitting itself,
row after row, then exploding with joy
and unraveling everything.
* * *
Excerpt from THE SEA AT TRURO. Copyright (c) 2012 by Nancy Willard. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc., New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.