- Alleged Drug Suppliers, Prostitutes Rounded Up in Huntington
- Saturday Tsubasacon Cosplay Contest and Skits
- Chad Walters and Kimberly Drinko Walters make gift in honor of grandparents to the West Virginia Autism Training Center
- FitFest Raises Funds for Ambrose Trail IMAGES
- Marshall University biotechnology spinoff receives large grant from National Institutes of Health
- Friday Tsubasacon 2016 IMAGES Cosplay
- OPINION: Addiction Counselor Favors Networking with Addicts to build Hope & Trust
- Beckley area physician pleads guilty to federal oxycodone crime
- Tale of Two Keiths; Keith Albee (and sis) Still Need You
- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
Inaugural College of Arts and Media convocation to honor 189 students
Dr. Richard Kravchak, director of the School of Music and Theatre at Marshall, said his award-winning students gain more than financial assistance from the accolades.
"The recognition that they're excelling in their chosen professions that's truly wonderful," Kravchak said.
Endowed scholarships are exclusive, some requiring candidates to display talent in their fields, others to maintain above-average grades or participate in extra-curricular activities. Faculty and directors of the respective schools art and design, journalism and mass communications or music and theatre decide most recipients for them. College-wide awards are even more coveted. The competition for those eight awards is bigger and better and recipients are usually selected with help from the dean.
"With so many exciting opportunities arising for our new college, it's especially important to take the time to show students that their hard work doesn't go without merit," said Don Van Horn, dean of the College of Arts and Media.The new College of Arts and Media combined the College of Fine Arts with the W. Page Pitt School of Journalism and Mass Communications last July. A major venture of the newly established college is the downtown Visual Arts Center, slated to open its doors across from Pullman Square later this year.