- Former Morris Occupant Reveals “in the Kitchen You Can See the Sky…”
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 28, 2014
- Chief Eastham Details How Relentless Assistance Prevented Further Fire Damage
- Water Damage Severe inside Morris Building Apartment
- Grant from Enterprise Holdings Foundation to MU Career Services to fund student internships
- DEVELOPING: Morris Building Fire Caused Elevator Shaft Collapse
- Officer on Leave after Shooting Incident
- UPDATE: Fire Ravages Morris Building; Fire Damage Contained to Roof, Elevator Shaft
- OP-ED: Some Thoughts on Provocation
- WV Attorney General Sues over Obamacare
Senior Scam Ringleader Sentenced to Eight Years in Prison
Charles Kuhn Jr., 47, pleaded guilty to charges of engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity, theft, telecommunications fraud, and conspiracy in Ross County Common Pleas Court this afternoon. Kuhn was then immediately sentenced by Judge Scott Nusbaum to an eight year prison term.
"Those who think that they can get away with ripping off Ohio's senior citizens should think again," said Attorney General DeWine. "Our senior citizens deserve to be treated with respect, and those who scheme to take their hard-earned dollars will serve hard time."
Kuhn and six other accomplices were indicted in February on charges alleging that they operated a scheme that targeted at least six elderly victims from Ross, Pickaway, and Hocking counties. The group is accused of stealing approximately $400,000 since 2011 by convincing the victims to loan them money, with the promise of large returns on their investments.
Kuhn, who is considered the ringleader of the group, is the first of the seven suspects in the enterprise to plead guilty.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine created the Consumer Protection Section’s Economic Crimes Unit in 2011 to identify criminal conduct in consumer fraud cases and assist Ohio’s prosecuting attorneys in holding scammers criminally accountable. To date, 105 people have been charged with felonies and 66 have been convicted.
The Economic Crimes Unit worked in cooperation with the Ross County and Pickaway County Sheriff’s Offices in this investigation.
If you suspect a scam or an unfair business practice, report it to the Ohio Attorney General’s Office at www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov or 800-282-0515.