- 2015 Dawg Dazzle Aims to Electrify Huntington's Riverfront
- Florida Residents Visit Monster Chair
- BB&T continues support for capitalism center at Marshall with another gift of $100,000
- Johnson, Hammers Recognized at White House for Combatting Drugs
- Mayor Williams, Rep. Jenkins Join Christ Temple Freedom Celebration IMAGES
- Fourth of July Celebration at Camden Park
- Skynyrd's One More for the Music Fans Due July 24
- Firefighters Battle Flames on Johnstown Road
- Precautionary Boil Water Advisory Issued for Blocks of Adams Avenue, 16th Street, 17th Street and 18th Street West in Huntington
- WV AFL-CIO President Perdue: July 1 is now Pay Cut Day
Detroit Dealer Sentenced for Bringing Heroin to Huntington
In November of 2012, Jones and his girlfriend took a Greyhound bus from Detroit, Michigan to Huntington to deliver heroin for Zachary Merritt. Upon their arrival in at the Huntington bus station, Jones gave the heroin to his girlfriend and directed her to conceal it inside her body. Instead, Jones’ girlfriend placed the heroin under the seat of the taxi they took after arriving at the Huntington bus station. Shortly after leaving the bus station, Huntington police officers stopped the taxi and seized the heroin.
As part of his plea agreement, Jones admitted that he participated in trafficking 528 grams of heroin to Huntington for resale. Merritt, also from Detroit and the source of the heroin transported by Jones, has pled guilty to his role in the heroin trafficking and was sentenced to almost seven years in federal prison.
This case is being prosecuted as part of an ongoing effort led by the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of West Virginia to combat the illicit sale and misuse of prescription drugs. The U.S. Attorney’s Office, joined by federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, is committed to aggressively pursuing and shutting down illegal pill trafficking, eliminating open air drug markets, and curtailing the spread of opiate painkillers in communities across the Southern District.