- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
- Huntington Police Make Arrest for Receiving Stolen Property
- FLASHBACK: Catch a Delorean Ride Back to the Future
- BREAKING : Ft. Myers Shooting
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Remains Believed to be Missing Woman Found
- Huntington Council Hears Preparation for School and Stanford Park Road Repair Ordinance
- School of Medicine welcomes students for Project P.R.E.M.E.D.
- Spook Hunters Visit Pullman Square Marquee Cinema IMAGES
- President Obama Laments GOP Pulled Over $900 Milion from Recovery Act
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: Farewell to Poem a Day for 2014: 'Of Bright & Blue Birds & The Gala Sun' by Wallace Stevens
Of Bright & Blue Birds & The Gala Sun
Some things, niño, some things are like this,
That instantly and in themselves are gay
And you and I are such things, O most miserable...
For a moment they are gay and are a part
Of an element, the exactest element for us,
In which we pronounce joy like a word of our own.
It is there, being imperfect, and with these things
And erudite in happiness, with nothing learned,
That we are joyously ourselves and we think
Without the labor of thought, in that element,
And we feel, in a way apart, for a moment, as if
There was a bright scienza outside of ourselves,
A gaiety that is being, not merely knowing,
The will to be and to be total in belief,
Provoking a laughter, an agreement, by surprise.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about Wallace Steven's Selected Poems.
- Browse other books by Wallace Stevens.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- Enter our Portray Your Love of Poetry Contest.
Excerpt from SELECTED POEMS. Copyright (c) 2009 by Alfred A, Knopf. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc., New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.