- Costumes and Comic Books Bring Out the Tricon Nerds IMAGES
- Tri-State Comic Con Expands Amazing Guest List
- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- Finance Committee Hears Needed Improvements Coupled by Inadequate Revenues
- April Rotary Park Hike Scheduled
- Chops and Critters Assist in Celebrating 'Insurgent' Opening in Marquee Lobby
- BOOK NOTES: 'Beliefs Beyond Belief: Examining Improbable Ideas': Skepticism and its Role in Believing
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Old Times are not forgotten in the South
- WV Attorney General to Testify Before Senate Committee on Coal Fired Plants
- Huntington Water Quality Board Meets Jan. 13 at 11 a.m.
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: Farewell to Poem a Day for 2014: 'Of Bright & Blue Birds & The Gala Sun' by Wallace Stevens
Of Bright & Blue Birds & The Gala Sun
Some things, niño, some things are like this,
That instantly and in themselves are gay
And you and I are such things, O most miserable...
For a moment they are gay and are a part
Of an element, the exactest element for us,
In which we pronounce joy like a word of our own.
It is there, being imperfect, and with these things
And erudite in happiness, with nothing learned,
That we are joyously ourselves and we think
Without the labor of thought, in that element,
And we feel, in a way apart, for a moment, as if
There was a bright scienza outside of ourselves,
A gaiety that is being, not merely knowing,
The will to be and to be total in belief,
Provoking a laughter, an agreement, by surprise.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about Wallace Steven's Selected Poems.
- Browse other books by Wallace Stevens.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- Enter our Portray Your Love of Poetry Contest.
Excerpt from SELECTED POEMS. Copyright (c) 2009 by Alfred A, Knopf. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc., New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.