- Saturday Tsubasacon Cosplay Contest and Skits
- Huntington Church Offers Sanctuary for Undocumented Immigrants
- Friday Tsubasacon 2016 IMAGES Cosplay
- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
- Tale of Two Keiths; Keith Albee (and sis) Still Need You
- Rhoden Family Members Make Plea for Tips in Pike County Murders of Loved Ones
- FitFest Raises Funds for Ambrose Trail IMAGES
- Huntington City Council Agenda Announced
- Derby Hat Luncheon sponsored by Ebenezer Medical Outreach, Inc.
- AARP Partners for Money Smart Week Events
APRIL IS POETRY MONTH: Farewell to Poem a Day for 2014: 'Of Bright & Blue Birds & The Gala Sun' by Wallace Stevens
Of Bright & Blue Birds & The Gala Sun
Some things, niño, some things are like this,
That instantly and in themselves are gay
And you and I are such things, O most miserable...
For a moment they are gay and are a part
Of an element, the exactest element for us,
In which we pronounce joy like a word of our own.
It is there, being imperfect, and with these things
And erudite in happiness, with nothing learned,
That we are joyously ourselves and we think
Without the labor of thought, in that element,
And we feel, in a way apart, for a moment, as if
There was a bright scienza outside of ourselves,
A gaiety that is being, not merely knowing,
The will to be and to be total in belief,
Provoking a laughter, an agreement, by surprise.
More on this poem and author:
- Learn more about Wallace Steven's Selected Poems.
- Browse other books by Wallace Stevens.
- Visit our Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
- Enter our Portray Your Love of Poetry Contest.
Excerpt from SELECTED POEMS. Copyright (c) 2009 by Alfred A, Knopf. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc., New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.