- Cannabis To Be Planted Legally in WV For The 1st time In 70 years
- Predominately Filmed in WV "American West" Starts June 11 on AMC
- Huntington Council Hears First Reading on Planned Duplex
- Huntington Council Discusses Two Ordinances
- 2016 Rails & Ales Festival to be Held on Saturday, August 13th
- PSC Legacy Document Shows Dietz Landfill Closure Cost to be Shared by INCO, City
- Pullman Plaza Sold; Will Become Hilton Doubletree
- Marshall listed among Best Online Liberal Arts Colleges for Bachelor’s Degrees
- Lecture Series Held at City Hall
- Attorney General Morrisey to EPA: Halt Federal Spending on Clean Power Plan
Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine marks annual commencement
Marshall University President Stephen J. Kopp, Ph.D., who is among the speakers, will confer the students' degrees.
Graduates of the Class of 2014 include 11 students who have maintained perfect 4.0 GPAs as well as six students who will continue their military service at military residency programs across the country. The students have matched into highly competitive residency specialties like dermatology, orthopedics and ophthalmology, as well as prestigious programs in primary care.
This year's investiture speaker is Robert C. Gallo, M.D., co-discoverer of the human immunodeficiency virus that causes AIDS. Gallo, who since 1996 has served as the Director of Human Virology and Professor of Medicine and Microbiology and Immunology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, is also credited with identifying the first human retrovirus and with others showed it was a cause of a particular form of human leukemia.
He has been awarded 31 honorary doctorates from universities around the world and will receive an honorary Doctor of Science degree at the Marshall ceremony.
The investiture, which is being streamed live at www.marshall.edu/it/livestream, will also include recognition of graduates of Marshall's Biomedical Sciences Program and the announcement of the School of Medicine Alumni Association's Honorary Alumnus for 2014.
In addition to this ceremony, there will be a senior awards ceremony at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Erma Ora Byrd Clinical Center Auditorium.