- UPDATING.... "American Sniper" Likely to Dominate Boxoffice Again
- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- World's Most Heart Breaking Parking Lot May Have Future for Skate Boarding
- OP-ED: How Prosecutors Think
- Discover some of West Virginia’s state park lodges in January 2015 with a “WV50” $50 room rate
- Led by Miami Duo, @HerdFB Wins Inaugural Boca Raton Bowl
- Calling all bird lovers! North Bend State Park’s Winter Wonder Weekend Jan. 16-18, 2015, is “For the Birds”
- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: Sending Money to Countries That Hate Us Makes No Sense at All
- YEAR-END SPORTS OP-ED: Sports Crazy (or Just Crazy About Things That Matter Very Little)
- OP-ED: How About Another Christmas Truce?
Jazz Trumpter Wins International Song Writing Prize
Winners were selected by a panel of judges which included Imagine Dragons, Martina McBride, Joshua Redman, Josh Turner, Keane, Jon Secada, Dido, Garbage, Darryl McDaniels (Run D.M.C.), James Cotton, Boney James, Jason Isbell, Anoushka Shankar, Monte Lipman (Founder, Chairman, and CEO, Republic Records), Dan McCarroll (President, Warner Bros. Records), Alison Donald (Co-President, Columbia Records UK), and more.
Founder and Director Candace Avery states, "It is vital for all artists to be recognized for their talents and awarded the due respect for their accomplishments. This year we have awarded the ISC Grand Prize to a Jazz artist, and we applaud the importance of this genre in our musical landscape. The recipient, Shunzo Ohno, greatly deserves this honor, and ISC is proud to bestow this award on him."
Shunzo Ohno is a virtuosic jazz trumpeter and an accomplished composer and arranger. Ohno has performed with jazz legends Art Blakey & The Messengers, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Gil Evans, Larry Coryell, Machito & His Afro-Cuban Orchestra, and many more. With numerous recordings under his own name as a leader, he has also appeared on over 30 more as a sideman and has collaborated on two Grammy winning recordings.
Ohno has been described as modest and seemingly shy, and he has overcome health challenges in his life that would have potentially ended any musician's career. Surviving both a serious car accident in which his teeth and lips were permanently damaged and a later bout of throat cancer which forced him to relearn his playing, he is a testament to determination and courage, even inspiring a biography and documentary in Japan about his life.
For a more in-depth bio on Ohno, please go to http://www.songwritingcompetition.com/pressreleases
ISC awards more than $150,000 in cash and prizes to amateur and professional songwriters around the world. The Grand Prize winner is awarded $25,000 in cash (US) and an additional $35,000 in merchandise and services. Previous ISC winners include Bastille, Passenger, Lindsey Stirling, Gotye, The Band Perry, Kasey Chambers, Gin Wigmore, King Charles, Kimbra, Gregory Porter, Omar Sosa, and many more.
For a complete list of 2013 ISC winners and to hear the winning songs, go to http://www.songwritingcompetition.com/winners