- Orlando Mostly Deserted; This was a 9/11, a Former Huntington Resident Believes
- How Can You Help Flood Recovery in WV?
- Flooding Brings State of Emergency for 44 WV Counties
- Huntington Police Report Burglary, Possession, Overdose
- West Virginia American Water Responding to Operational Impacts of Widespread Flooding
- Flash Flood Warning for Counties in Three States
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
- Senate President Bill Cole Urges Caution During State of Emergency
- Huntington's Street Department Completes Upgrades, including Safer Dietz Hollow Dropoff Area
- Flooding Closes Greenbrier
Invigorated Mayor Williams Returns from Conference
The conference had representatives from 40 so-called "think tanks." One of their suggestions is to "identify (individual) gifts (i.e. talented people) to work with making each community's unique qualities world class.
Williams will be utilizing some of the ideas discussed for future city development and planning, he told council.
During the session, the Mayor gave Public Works Director David Hagley a proclamation for his work during the current Public Works Week. Employees will be honored at a 11 a.m. luncheon Friday, May 23 at the Big Sandy Superstore Arena.
In addition, the Mayor emphasized that the newly acquired Marine One vessel for the Huntington Fire Department "reminds us how important the river is" to the community. Williams stated that Charleston does not have one and a vessel of this type would have been helpful in January 2014 when the MPLH and other chemicals spilled into the Elk River contaminating drinking water. He added it would have been useful when the spill passed Huntington in January.
"We can safely go in and access damage. That was something that could not be done in Charleston," Williams explained.
He referred to the Marine One vessel as the councilman David Ball "Let's Get it Done" project.
HNN, including professional model/cosplayer, Elsa Littlepage, participated through research and pictorials on the need for such an upgraded boat.