- Hallowed WTC Steel Relics Arrive in Huntington IMAGES
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Cars, Dogs, Rides and Eats Celebrated
- Where Were You in '62 Icon Returns to Screen
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
- Elsa & Anna Take in Last Day of Wayne County Fair at Camden Park with IMAGES
- James Cook at the End of the Road
- Registration Underway for Bell Tower Walk
- Water Main and Valve Replacement Project to Cause Temporary Water Outage Monday for Rt. 10/Heath Creek Road Area of Barboursville
- September Dramas Stir Cinematic Releases
Rahall Announces Funding for Health Care Services in Southern W.Va.
Friday, May 23, 2014 - 01:49 Updated 2 years ago From a Rep. Nick Rahall Release
“We must strengthen Federal investments in community health centers that bring primary and preventive medical care to our underserved areas, and I intend to keep pushing so that there is funding available for our southern counties,” said Rahall. “Wellness and preventive care programs – increasing access to vaccinations and regular doctor visits, screenings for chronic illnesses like diabetes, heart disease, and cancer – help us live healthier and keep down medical costs.”
The funding was awarded through the Health Center Cluster Program, which provides grants to community health centers that provide primary and preventive care to underserved, rural areas. Valley Health Systems serves designated Medically Underserved Areas (MUA) and Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA), making them eligible for this funding.
Valley Health serves 72,000 patients in Cabell, Kanawha, Lincoln, Mason, Putnam, and Wayne Counties through 18 community-based primary care centers; 8 Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) sites; and 6 school-based health centers. The non-profit health facilities support the medical needs of rural communities, including the prevalent conditions such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and substance abuse. Services include primary care, dental care, obstetrics, pharmacy, and black lung diagnosis.