- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- Ginseng Harvest Returns as "Appalachian Outlaws"
- Will Smith's Caper Comedy Likely on Top; Can Lively 'Duff' Hold Strong? Click for Times
- OP-ED: Citizens Mobilize to Resist Undemocratic Corporate Water Grabs
- OP-ED: Obama has wrong-footed Republicans in his war on ISIL
- Goebbel Named Marshall Tight Ends Coach/Recruiting Coordinator
- OP-ED: China’s Yuan will rival US dollar globally
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Cutting loose the shackles of the past: Cuba and the US
- Huntington Mayor's Budget Puts Possible Fee Increase Decisions on City Council's Plate
- OP-ED: Beyond Deterrence, Compassion
Juneteenth Celebration Celebration June 14
The festival is being revived after a three-year absence with the leadership of Donte Jackson, pastor of First Baptist Church and a volunteer with the Go 1st Community Development Corp. The City of Huntington, Cabell County Commission, Cabell-Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau, Create Huntington and Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Huntington are sponsoring the event.
Juneteenth is the oldest-known celebration commemorating the end of slavery in the United States when, on June 19, 1865, Texas became the last state to proclaim freedom.
This year’s theme will be “United as a Community: Celebrating our Heritage.” The festival is seeking food and retail vendors.
For more information, call Jackson at 304-444-1947 or email Go1stCDC@gmail.com. All contributions to the festival are tax-deductible.