- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 15, 2014
- Soaring Lap Earns Jeff Gordon Sprint Cup Pole At Michigan
- Potential Upscale Hotel Approved for Kinetic Park
- Preventing Substance Abuse and Mental Illness
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 16, 2014
- Tickets to all Marshall Artists Series events go on sale Monday, August 18 @ Noon Call 304-696-6656
- Grand opening of Visual Arts Center slated for Sept. 18-19
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 12, 2014
- Miss West Virginia Competes in Miss America Pageant Tonight
- Five Detroit Men Arrested in Olive Street Drug Raid Following Bar Shooting
Capt. Hank Dial Among Neighborhood Institute Award Winners
Mayor Steve Williams presented awards ranging from mentoring youth or youth sports, to beautification, leadership or promoting safety.
Hank Dial, Sean Johnson, Joyce Clark, Freeda Crockett, Betty Craig, Cindy Chandler, Bob Stover, Leon White, Jim Hoffman, Dan and Paulette Goheen, Faye and Kenney Robertson, Jim and Frances Case, Madison and Angie Morris, Casey Blough, Paul T. Gillette, Ray Browning, William "Bill" Zitter, Courtney Proctor-Cross, Harry Main, Tyson Compton, Gale Goheen, Angie Clay, Michael D. Perkins, Martha Evans, and Carolyn Webb received awards.
For instance, Mayor Williams spoke at the City Council meeting about the accomplishments of Leon White at the A.D. Lewis pool, which opened Monday, June 10.
"This is the city's only pool," the Mayor said, indicating that hour expansion likely will occur if more life guards volunteer.
The A.D. Lewis refurbishing came from a couple of guys with the goal of helping children asking Marathon Oil for assistance with piping and pumps.
Marathon and their vendors "adopted" the pool contributing parts and labor valued at about $100,000.