- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Garner Files': Jim Rockford a Curmudgeon? Say It Ain't So!
- Ona Speedway Precision Pump & Valve Imagery
- Marshall medical students provide treatment to more than a thousand Hondurans during international mission
- Huntington’s Council Charter Committee Adds Recommendation to Lengthen Executive Search Time from 60 to 120 Days
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 18, 2014
- Marshall Artists Series includes Icons from Jay Leno, Frankie Valli to Disney's Beauty and the Beast
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Begins Accepting Consumer Complaints on Prepaid Cards, Additional Nonbank Products; Nonbank Products Include Debt Settlement and Credit Repair Services, Pawn and Title Loans
- CSB Investigation Finds No Record of Inspections on Freedom Industries Chemical Storage Tanks
- Donna Underwood creates two scholarships to honor her late husband
- BREAKING... Charter Revision Proposal Would Extend "Interim" Position Period to 120 Days
Summer of Tsubasacon Picnic Gathering Sunday June 22
The third "Natsu No Tsubasacon" (Summer of Tsubasacon) picnic kicks off at noon at the Ritter Park Picnic Shelter. Hot dogs and pot luck food items will be served. Admission to the picnic grounds Is free; however, in the spirit of community guests are asked to either bring a dish for the picnic or a canned good items for the Facing Hunger Foodbank.
During the fan celebration , a mix of videos will play on a big screen at the shelter, a Cosplay competition with prizes will be held, a “Name that Anime” tune game, a kickball competition, a used video swap meet and a Japanese watermelon splitting competition will be among the activities. The picnic brings fans together for personal interaction and communication which can not be accomplished solely by an internet avitar.
Jack Varney, marketing director for the con, explained that the melon games is called Suikawari.
“It’s a traditional Japanese game played in groups that get together during the summer. It basically involves splitting a watermelon with a stick while blindfolded. Suikawari is most often seen at beaches, but also occurs at festivals, picnics, and other summer events,” Varney said.
He continued, “The rules are similar to piñata. A watermelon is laid out, and blindfolded participants one by one attempt to smash it open. Each is blindfolded, spun around three times, and handed a wooden stick, or bokken, to strike. The first to crack the watermelon open wins. Afterwards, the chunks of watermelon produced are shared among participants. Because the watermelon can fall into the sand and get dirty, a sheet, a piece of cardboard, or other element is commonly placed beneath it.”
Let the organizers know you are coming to the picnic, so they know how much food to bring. Check, https://www.facebook.com/events/505419989570584
Varney told HNN that the Tsubasacon’s move to the arena has been delayed until 2015 due to a scheduling conflict.
Still in 2014, “we are expanding some main events, particularly on Saturday , October 11,” where a to be announced activity will take place in City Hall Auditorium, Varney said. The convention will broaden to include more forms of pop culture, too.
The decision to expand results from increased attendance and fan bases encompassing cities within a 150-200 mile (plus) radius of Huntington. “We are focused on Columbus, Lexington, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Pittsburgh, just to name a few.” Having developed friendly networking relationships with other anime/gaming and comic cons, the cross-promotion has become a “win/win” for both Tsubasacon and cons in other cities.
One of the October con's guests will be Paul St. Peter is a voice actor from Los Angeles whose many anime' and video game credits include KINGDOM HEARTS (Xemnas), NARUTO (Nine Tail Fox), ROBOTECH (Zor Prime), BLEACH (Yammy), WORLD OF WARCRAFT (Boden The Imposing), DYNASTY WARRIORS I-IV (Yuan Shao), DIGIMON (KOKOMON), ZETMAN (Sugito), MAJIN (Majin), and RESIDENT EVIL 5 (Swahili Zombie). Paul has comical voices too, from COWBOY BEBOP (Punch) to DIGIMON WARRIORS (Wormmon). Among his other game, anime, and feature anime credits are GURREN LAGAAN (Jorgun), THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO (Mondego), MONSTER (Dr. Reichwein), PAPRIKA (Konakawa), LUPIN III The Secret of Mamo (Mamo), DURARARA (Higa), X-COM (Dr. Heinrich), BATTLE B-DAMON (Armada), DIABLO III (Demented Spirit), and DEFIANCE (Burgess). He has recently wrapped work on CYBORG 009 (Dr. Gilmore), DRAKENGARD 3 (Michael the Dragon), CANNON FODDER (Gidi), and GUNDAM 7 (Syam).