- UPDATED... HPD Nets Four Controlled Substance Arrests September 23-24; Burglaries Reported
- Heroin and Fentanyl Are the Most Popular Drugs in Charleston Right Now, Police Say. Meth Use Is on the Upswing
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Hallowed WTC Steel Relics Arrive in Huntington IMAGES
- Marshall psychology doctoral degree ranked No. 2 in the U.S.
- Police Execute Arrest Warrants, Arrest Suspect in Shooting Near Hospital
- "What the Night Can Do" begins filming in Lewisburg Sep. 26
- Hundreds of Nonprofit Organizations Join to Demand Reform of "Rogue" Agency
- President Gilbert invested at Marshall
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
BOOK REVIEW: 'Chu's First Day of School', 'Chu's Day': Two Delightful New Books for Children by Neil Gaiman, Adam Rex
First off, let's take a look at "Chu's First Day of School" (HarperCollins, 32 pages, ages 4-8, $17.99). If you can remember your first day of school, you can sympathize with Chu, the panda with the big sneeze. He's heading off to school for the first time. He hopes the other boys and girls will be nice. Will they like him? What will happen at this strange new place called school? And will Chu do what he does best? It's a perfect book to read-aloud to kids in this age group. And it's written by Newbery Medal-winning author Neil Gaiman and beautifully illustrated by acclaimed artist Adam Rex. The book supports the Common Core State Standards.
* * *
If, like the reviewer, you haven't seen a board book in decades, you'll love the new board book by author Neil Gaiman and illustrator Adam Rex, "Chu's Day" (HarperCollins, 36 pages, ages 4-8, supports the Common Core State Standards, $7.99). "Chu's Day" is a board book adaptation of a picture book. And like the book about Chu's first day of school, it's an ideal read-aloud book. I stress this part: You can never have too much reading aloud or reading, for that matter! It's not rocket science, it's just common sense.
Chu is a little panda with a big sneeze. When Chu sneezes, bad things happen. But as Chu and his parents visit the library, the diner, and the circus, will anyone hear Chu when he starts to feel a familiar tickle in his nose?
Chu's Day is a story that shows how even the smallest child can make big things happen.
About Neil Gaiman
Neil Gaiman is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than twenty books for readers of all ages, and the recipient of numerous literary awards, including the Shirley Jackson Award and the Locus Award for Best Novelette for his story "The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains." Originally from England, he now lives in America. His website: http://www.NeilGaiman.com/
About Adam Rex
Adam Rex is the author of many books, including Cold Cereal and Unlucky Charms, the first two books in the Cold Cereal Saga; the New York Times bestselling picture book Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich; the middle-grade novel The True Meaning of Smekday; and the teen novel Fat Vampire. He currently lives in Arizona with his wife. His website: http://AdamRex.com/