- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- Will Smith's Caper Comedy Likely on Top; Can Lively 'Duff' Hold Strong? Click for Times
- New Year's Day Hike at Ritter Park
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Remembering Robert E. Lee: American Patriot and Southern Hero
- Ginseng Harvest Returns as "Appalachian Outlaws"
- OP-ED: China’s Yuan will rival US dollar globally
- Marshall University School of Medicine announces new administrative chair of radiation oncology
- OP-ED: Beyond Deterrence, Compassion
- OP-ED: Vermont Yankee and the Rest: Dirty, Dangerous, Too Costly to Compute
- OP-ED: Are the U.S. and Russian Governments Once Again on the Nuclear Warpath?
Council Will Vote on $7.15 per Month Fee
The proposal comes after Mayor Steve Williams vowed to "be back" with a more suitable proposal following the referral of the Stormwater Start Up ordinance back to the Finance Committee.
The fee allows for consideration of those on fixed incomes, those receiving disability, and those on food stamps with qualifying incomes determined by federal levels.
In addition, the Mayor has asked that the interim appointment of Police Chief Jimmy Johnson be made permanent to comply with the City Charter. Meanwhile , the search committee continues evaluation of applications received to replace Police Chief Skip Holbrook, who left HPD for a similar position in Columbia, S.C.
Purchase of police cars is on the agenda too. No controversy occurred at the work session as the equipment acquisition comes from drug forfeiture monies.
Council meets at 7:30 p.m. in Council Chambers at City Hall. Public comment will be taken on the proposed fee which would take effect October 1, 2014. The current municipal services fee will be reduced by 9.4 % as the floodwall portions are in assessed to the Municipal Services Fee. It now becomes the Fire Service fee.
The meeting is streamed via the internet; it is televised live on Comcast Channel 24.