- Protecting the integrity of Social Security
- More than $200,000 in Heroin, Cocaine Seized as Part of Ongoing Drug Trafficking Investigation
- Public advocacy group retains Washington law firm to mount antitrust challenge to proposed Dow-DuPont merger
- Mathematics awarded $170K grant from National Security Agency
- Attorney General Morrisey, 21 States Win Gun Rights Victory
- Questions About Proposed Department of Energy Budget Requests
- This Week in the West Virginia Senate
- COLUMN: The Republican Debate: Who Goes First?
- Man Dead in Marcum Terrace Shooting; Police Seek Suspect
- Lecture on Dr. Carter G. Woodson to kick off ‘Huntington Lecture Series’
Council Will Vote on $7.15 per Month Fee
The proposal comes after Mayor Steve Williams vowed to "be back" with a more suitable proposal following the referral of the Stormwater Start Up ordinance back to the Finance Committee.
The fee allows for consideration of those on fixed incomes, those receiving disability, and those on food stamps with qualifying incomes determined by federal levels.
In addition, the Mayor has asked that the interim appointment of Police Chief Jimmy Johnson be made permanent to comply with the City Charter. Meanwhile , the search committee continues evaluation of applications received to replace Police Chief Skip Holbrook, who left HPD for a similar position in Columbia, S.C.
Purchase of police cars is on the agenda too. No controversy occurred at the work session as the equipment acquisition comes from drug forfeiture monies.
Council meets at 7:30 p.m. in Council Chambers at City Hall. Public comment will be taken on the proposed fee which would take effect October 1, 2014. The current municipal services fee will be reduced by 9.4 % as the floodwall portions are in assessed to the Municipal Services Fee. It now becomes the Fire Service fee.
The meeting is streamed via the internet; it is televised live on Comcast Channel 24.