- UPDATED: Police, Fire Leadership Attribute Mismanagement for Possible Deep, Scary Cuts
- Mayor Williams "unfamiliar" with alleged benefit cuts; Huntington "under" budget
- Elsa from Frozen Made a Cameo Appearance Leading Huntington Parade, Visits Eastgate Mall Saturday in Cincy IMAGES
- Rooster's Hostesses Dress for Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Fire Prevention Parade Packs Downtown; FAREWELL Elsa of WV Inspired Sing-a-Longs
- Marshall University launches the Dr. Carter G. Woodson Lyceum
- Secretary of State Warner Responds to Media Reports
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
- Two defendants headed to prison for methamphetamine trafficking crimes
- Marshall Health and School of Medicine welcome new faculty physicians
“Maleficent" Casts Dark, Girlhood Friendly Spell
Since the “Sleeping Beauty” tale is well known, I won’t inject further spoilers. Your make or break “see” decision surrounds family friendly and “girlhood” perspectives. Much like “Frozen,” the story emancipates the handsome prince true love vision. Too, it thankfully injects conflicting grays into personalities, avoiding traditional all good and all bad depictions, which inspire yet do not exist in realty.
Jolie harkens well as the anguished heroic villain tortured by conflicting emotions.
Without giving away too much, my “classic” bone to throw involves the original material. It left gaps; so do the moor and castle conflicts, which awaken X Men mutant versus human prejudice in me.
After a mix of family friendly (“Earth to Echo”), a touch of the sinister (“Deliver Us from Evil”) and a chic gathering (“Tammy”) for Independence Day, look for the adult oriented “Sex Tape” in mid-July and the sprawling “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” (July 11).
The filthy “Sex Tape” has a married couple facing total devastation --- a video made the previous night is missing. “Bad Teacher” Cameron Diaz reunites with her gym teacher beau (Jason Segel). “The Purge: Anarchy,” “Hercules” and “Lucy” are among flicks filling out July before Marvel unleashes “Guardians of the Galaxy.”