- UPDATED: Wal Mart Shots Not Terror Related
- Man Arrives at Huntington Hospital Shot in Both Legs
- Marshall Artists Series and The Huntington Symphony Orchestra team up for Disney In Concert
- "Creed" Punches it's Way into "Rocky's" Championship Heritage
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
- Donald Sutherland Warns Young People to Question Authority
- Huntington's A D Lewis Center Hosts Pre Thanksgiving Dinner IMAGES
- Attorney General DeWine Offers Five Tips to Avoid Scams While Shopping Online
- New Year's Day Hike at Ritter Park
- CFPB Takes Action to End Student 'Debt Relief' Scams; CFPB Warns Borrowers About Companies Charging High Fees for Free Federal Loan Repayment Programs
“Maleficent" Casts Dark, Girlhood Friendly Spell
Since the “Sleeping Beauty” tale is well known, I won’t inject further spoilers. Your make or break “see” decision surrounds family friendly and “girlhood” perspectives. Much like “Frozen,” the story emancipates the handsome prince true love vision. Too, it thankfully injects conflicting grays into personalities, avoiding traditional all good and all bad depictions, which inspire yet do not exist in realty.
Jolie harkens well as the anguished heroic villain tortured by conflicting emotions.
Without giving away too much, my “classic” bone to throw involves the original material. It left gaps; so do the moor and castle conflicts, which awaken X Men mutant versus human prejudice in me.
After a mix of family friendly (“Earth to Echo”), a touch of the sinister (“Deliver Us from Evil”) and a chic gathering (“Tammy”) for Independence Day, look for the adult oriented “Sex Tape” in mid-July and the sprawling “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” (July 11).
The filthy “Sex Tape” has a married couple facing total devastation --- a video made the previous night is missing. “Bad Teacher” Cameron Diaz reunites with her gym teacher beau (Jason Segel). “The Purge: Anarchy,” “Hercules” and “Lucy” are among flicks filling out July before Marvel unleashes “Guardians of the Galaxy.”