- Detroit Man Arrested in SWAT Raid
- Thanks for Your Service ... and Memories 2015 IMAGES
- Ohio Youth Group Repairs Wayne County Mobile Home Damaged by Flood
- A Natsu No Romp for Sailor Moon Crystal and Scouts IMAGES
- Katie DeHart Entertains at Pullman
- Fracking Poses Threats to Public Health, Say Experts
- Oakwood Road Band's Oldies Sets Pullman Rockin'
- A Very Merry Christmas Parade Moves Along Fourth Avenue
- Mayor Steve William's Office of Drug Control Policy Invited to White House
- Jewel City Jamming will Continue Next Year
Holmes Named to Watch List for CFPA Linebacker Trophy
The Valdosta, Ga. native was the only C-USA linebacker to make the 40-man list. Two Marshall student-athletes have earned CFPA’s honors. Former Marshall tight end Cody Slate won the 2009 CFPA Elite Tight End Trophy, while former defensive end Vinny Curry captured the 2011 CFPA Elite Defensive Lineman Trophy.
"Congratulations to Jermaine Holmes on earning a spot on the 2014 CFPA Watch List," said Smith. "Holmes has the potential to become the third CFPA winner at Marshall."
The CFPA is in its seventh season of player and team performance recognition, broken down by offense, defense, and special teams.
Holmes has been a preseason first team All-Conference USA pick by Athlon Sports, The Sporting News and Phil Steele’s 2014 Preview. Steele also rated him 30th among inside linebackers in his national “draft eligible” player rankings.
Holmes played in all 14 games last season, starting 10. He was third on the team in tackles with 84 and in tackles for loss with 8.5. He also posted a pair of sacks, an interception and a pass breakup. For his efforts, the C-USA coaches made him a second team all-league selection at season’s end, while CollegeSportsMadness.com placed him on its third team.
Marshall will begin its 2014 season with an Aug. 30 road date at Miami (Ohio). Kick time is set for 3:30 p.m. and the contest will be carried on ESPN3.com.