- Saturday Tsubasacon Cosplay Contest and Skits
- Drug Distributors Penalized For Turning Blind Eye In Opioid Epidemic
- Detroit man pleads guilty to federal heroin crime committed in Huntington
- Attorney General Morrisey Reaffirms Advice to Local Schools Regarding Transgender Policy
- Goodwin Announces Run for Mayor of Charleston
- Big Pharma Quietly Enlists Leading Professors to Justify $1,000-Per-Day Drugs
- Retiring YMCA Director Honored
- Attorney General DeWine Announces Settlement to Recover Misused Charitable Funds
- Mukherjee appointed dean of Lewis College of Business
- COLUMN: Ironton Native Describes Hollywood Bubble
Holmes Named to Watch List for CFPA Linebacker Trophy
The Valdosta, Ga. native was the only C-USA linebacker to make the 40-man list. Two Marshall student-athletes have earned CFPA’s honors. Former Marshall tight end Cody Slate won the 2009 CFPA Elite Tight End Trophy, while former defensive end Vinny Curry captured the 2011 CFPA Elite Defensive Lineman Trophy.
"Congratulations to Jermaine Holmes on earning a spot on the 2014 CFPA Watch List," said Smith. "Holmes has the potential to become the third CFPA winner at Marshall."
The CFPA is in its seventh season of player and team performance recognition, broken down by offense, defense, and special teams.
Holmes has been a preseason first team All-Conference USA pick by Athlon Sports, The Sporting News and Phil Steele’s 2014 Preview. Steele also rated him 30th among inside linebackers in his national “draft eligible” player rankings.
Holmes played in all 14 games last season, starting 10. He was third on the team in tackles with 84 and in tackles for loss with 8.5. He also posted a pair of sacks, an interception and a pass breakup. For his efforts, the C-USA coaches made him a second team all-league selection at season’s end, while CollegeSportsMadness.com placed him on its third team.
Marshall will begin its 2014 season with an Aug. 30 road date at Miami (Ohio). Kick time is set for 3:30 p.m. and the contest will be carried on ESPN3.com.