- Huntington Police Arrest Seven Alleged Drug Distributors, Users
- Attorney General Morrisey Announces Nearly $1.3M Antitrust Settlement Benefiting Cabell County Schools
- Two sex offenders headed to prison for federal crimes
- Hallowed WTC Steel Relics Arrive in Huntington IMAGES
- E.E.O.C. Issues Final Guidance for Retailation
- Aug 30 GHPRD introduces Sway-Fun, an all-inclusive playground piece
- Huntington crack dealer faces at least five and up to 40 years; two heroin dealers each face up to 20 years
- Coalfield Development Corp. Receives Economic and Workforce Development Resources Grant for Coal Communities
- Special Council Meeting Tuesday on Public Nuisance
- When Operating Huntington Reduction Pilot Plant Known as Contaminated
Consumers should be alert when checking emails asking for money
Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 18:32 Updated 2 years ago From a News Release by WV Attorney General Patrick Morrisey
In this phishing scam, E-ZPass customers receive emails from an account that appears to be affiliated with the company. The email informs customers that they have unpaid toll fees and asks them to click on a link to get more information and pay the fees. However, the email is not legitimate..
“This is unfortunately just another attempt for scammers to try and steal money from honest West Virginians by scaring them into paying an unpaid toll,” Attorney General Morrisey said. “During the summer months many West Virginians will be on vacation or out traveling so they should be aware of this scam if they are using the E-ZPass to quickly pay tolls while on the road.”
The Attorney General’s Office advises consumers to delete these emails if one should appear in their online inbox. Consumers should not reply to the email or click on the link, either.
“Our Office wants West Virginians to remain safe while traveling this summer and when checking their email inboxes,” Morrisey said.
If you believe you have been a victim of this or any another scam, please call the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division at 1-800-368-8808.