- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
- Orlando Mostly Deserted; This was a 9/11, a Former Huntington Resident Believes
- How Can You Help Flood Recovery in WV?
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- BREAKING... Mayor's Office of Drug Control Policy Gains Honorable Mention at Indianapolis Conference
- City Teams with OVEC to Help WV Flood Victims
- A Natsu No Romp for Sailor Moon Crystal and Scouts IMAGES
- Flooding Closes Greenbrier
- West Virginia American Water Response to Flood-Related Operational Impacts Continues
- West Virginia American Water Responding to Operational Impacts of Widespread Flooding
Herd Featured Prominently In College Sports Madness Preseason All-League Honors, Teams
Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 16:42 Special to HNN Provided by Herd Zone
The website picked coach Doc Holliday as its 2014 C-USA coach of the year, while quarterback Rakeem Cato was tabbed as offensive player of the year and wide receiver Angelo Jean-Louis was named its freshman of the year.
In 2013, Holliday led Marshall to its first double-digit winning season since 2002 with a 10-4 performance, capped by a 31-20 victory over Maryland in the Military Bowl. He also coached Marshall to a Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl triumph over FIU in 2011. For his efforts, he was rewarded with a contract extension through the 2018 season.
Cato, considered a candidate for the 2014 Heisman Trophy, previously was named in the last two weeks to watch lists for the Maxwell and Walter Camp Awards (national player of the year) and the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award. He also was selected by Conference USA coaches as the 2014 C-USA Preseason Offensive Player of the Year.
Jean-Louis will give Marshall a big boost at the outside receiver position in 2014. As a senior at Palm Beach Central, he was an honorable mention Class 8A Florida all-state selection. He also received scholarship offers from Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Rutgers, Tennessee, USC, Vanderbilt and West Virginia.
Cato was selected on the outlet’s preseason all-conference first team, along with wideout Tommy Shuler, offensive lineman Chris Jasperse, defensive lineman James Rouse and linebacker Jermaine Holmes.
Running back Steward Butler was picked to the second team, as was offensive lineman Sebastian Johansson, defensive lineman Ra’Shawde Myers, linebacker Evan McKelvey and safety A.J. Leggett.
Offensive lineman Clint Van Horn represented Marshall on the third team, along with defensive back Daryl Roberts, punter Tyler Williams and Deandre Reaves at both kick and punt returner.
Marshall will begin its 2014 season with an Aug. 30 date at Miami (Ohio). Kick time is set for 3:30 p.m. and the contest will be carried on ESPN3.com.