- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Nov. 21, 2014
- Marshall University internal medicine resident team wins state competition
- Ginseng Harvest Returns as "Appalachian Outlaws"
- RECALLS THIS WEEK: Graco Strollers, Fire Alarm Control Panels, and Other Product Recalls
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Escaping Condo Jail': Comprehensive Book Explores Pitfalls of Condominium, Home Owner Association Real Estate with Research, Wit
- Manchin Statement on President's Immigration Executive Actions
- OP-ED: Inadequate response to Ebola should not be repeated with Chickungunya
- Jewel City JAMboree to feature national and local musicians
- Rep.-elect Jenkins selected for Appropriations Committee
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Nov. 20, 2014
Ohio Woman Receives 18 Month Prison Sentence for Embezzling Huntington Housing Funds
The money in these accounts was to be used by the Uptowner Inns to pay a portion of the rent for its HUD apartments for qualifying tenants. Over the course of four years, Whitley stole more than $150,000 in federal funds from the HUD accounts and deposited the money into her personal checking account. She concealed the fraud by entering false information into the check ledger indicating that the money was spent on maintenance and other items for the apartments. Whitley previously pleaded guilty to embezzling money from an organization receiving federal funds in April of 2014.
The investigation was conducted by the West Virginia State Police, the United States Department for Housing and Urban Development, and with assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation.