- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Oct. 22, 2014
- UP CLOSE: Preparing to "Jump" and Taking the "Plunge" on Bridge Day Images
- Detroit Man Arrested for Heroin Distribution
- Adding Beauty to the Fall at Barboursville Park
- At Least 14 File for District Two Seat
- Man Arrested on 8th Avenue for Heroin Delivery
- West Virginia Film Office iPhone App to Provide On-the-Go Access to Film Industry Resources
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Leaving Time': A Good Introduction to Jodi Picoult's Works If You've Never Read Her; Fulfills Expectations If You're a Fan
- Huntington Council Set to Approve New Police Chief Monday Night
- OP-ED: Sports Need Independent Oversight
Ohio Woman Receives 18 Month Prison Sentence for Embezzling Huntington Housing Funds
The money in these accounts was to be used by the Uptowner Inns to pay a portion of the rent for its HUD apartments for qualifying tenants. Over the course of four years, Whitley stole more than $150,000 in federal funds from the HUD accounts and deposited the money into her personal checking account. She concealed the fraud by entering false information into the check ledger indicating that the money was spent on maintenance and other items for the apartments. Whitley previously pleaded guilty to embezzling money from an organization receiving federal funds in April of 2014.
The investigation was conducted by the West Virginia State Police, the United States Department for Housing and Urban Development, and with assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation.