- Nuclear Accident in Illinois; Guards say Shelter in Place; Honeywell it all Stayed on Site
- Reports Differ on Injuries at Metropolis Nuclear Plant Following Leakage of Uranium Hexafluoride
- Honeywell, NRC Dispute Report of College Students Operating Nuclear Plant; HNN Sources Allege Book Trained Replacement Workers Operated Plant
- OP-ED: Break-ups, Rejections and School Shootings: Educate Youth for Resiliency
- City Hall Trick or Treat
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Not only cricket but West Indian self-worth at stake
- Over the Highway and to the Trench Contaminated Huntington Materials Exposed Many
- New Gaming Arcade Business Opening in Downtown Huntington
- BOOK NOTES: 'The 52 New Foods Challenge': Make Healthy Eating into a Family Game
- Huntington Judge Added to Dancing with Pros
Geohazards forum to address shared transportation challenges
The forum, sponsored by the Marshall University Center for Environmental, Geotechnical and Applied Sciences (CEGAS) and hosted by the Kentucky Geological Survey, is an opportunity for geotechnical professionals to share information and best practices, and collaborate on transportation-related projects. As in previous years, the 2014 forum will include a pre-conference field trip on Tuesday, Aug. 5.
“Federal, state and private entities that deal with the prevention and remediation of similar geologic problems—such as rock falls on highways—in the Appalachian Region, gain tremendous benefit by sharing best practices,” said Dr. Tony Szwilski, CEGAS director and forum chairman.
Topics for the 2014 forum include scour mitigation and stream restoration; tunneling; karst; instrumentation; seismic impacting infrastructure design; remote sensing; innovative landslide mitigation and correction; rockfalls, hydrogeology and the impacts of mining.
Vendors from across the country will be on hand to display some of the latest technologies. Exhibitor space and sponsorship opportunities are still available.
For the full technical program, registration and hotel information visit www.marshall.edu/cegas/events/GITAR/.