- Adding Beauty to the Fall at Barboursville Park
- Sir Ronald Sanders Awarded Honorary Doctorate by University of The West Indies
- Two Members of Newman Drug Gang Enter Guilty Pleas
- Preventing Substance Abuse and Mental Illness
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Scotland’s Independence: Does it matter?
- OP-ED: Michael Brown and America’s Structural Violence Epidemic
- Coast Guardsman teaches water rescue to Cub Scouts in South Texas
- "Ouija" Startles, But no Shrieks or Shocks Here
- 2014 Furbearer Trapping Seasons to Open Nov. 1
- UP CLOSE: Preparing to "Jump" and Taking the "Plunge" on Bridge Day Images
SUPERMOON: 'When the Moon Hits Your Eye Like a Big Pizza Pie': Full Moon, Closest to Earth
The Aug. 10 supermoon rises when the moon is at perigee — the closest point to Earth in its orbit --- about 219,000 miles away. It is the second of three supermoons this summer, according to NASA.
I shot the moon photo about 10:30 p.m. central time in Port Lavaca TX with a Canon Digital Rebel camera and a 500 mm telephoto lens.
Lyrics to Dean Martin's hit song, "That's Amore":