- Antitrust agreement will protect our citizens’ best interests
- Super Heroes and Royalty Attract Throngs to Block Party IMAGES
- Huntington Audit Recommendations Spur City Council Disagreement
- Census Bureau Estimates Show How School-Age Child Poverty in Every County Compares with Prerecession Levels
- BREAKING: Two Police Officers Ambushed in Brooklyn
- FREDDIE MAC: Mortgage Rates Find New Lows for 2014
- OP-ED: How Prosecutors Think
- Elsa, Anna Join Superheroes Blockparty
- OP-ED: How About Another Christmas Truce?
- Huntington Police Arrest Two on Drug Charges
Softball Freshman D’Orazio Playing at World Championships
D’Orazio, an incoming freshman infielder from Montverde, Fla., has been selected to participate in the ISF XIV World Championships in the Netherlands as a member of the Puerto Rican National Team.
To play for the Puerto Rican team, a player must receive an invitation from the Puerto Rican Softball Federation and also have a parent or grandparent from the country.
D’Orazio signed with the Herd in November 2013 and was named the Central Florida Athlete of the Year while at Montverde Academy. She also earned first-team all-state honors while in high school.
Herd coach Shonda Stanton said playing in a tournament of this magnitude would be a chance for D’Orazio to raise her game and have a great experience by playing for a national team.
“This is an incredible opportunity for Elicia as she will be competing against some of the best softball players in the world,” Stanton said. “The pride in representing a country and traveling internationally is a valuable experience. We are excited to have Elicia on campus soon representing the Herd.”
Puerto Rico opens its ISF play with a game against Canada on Aug. 15. The team will also play Group A games from Aug. 16-21. The tournament will crown a gold medalist on Aug. 24.