- Sheetz Development Narrowly Passes Planning Commission
- $2.09 Per Gallon Gas Called Sign Mechanical Problem
- 70 Years of Atomic Bombs: Can We Disarm Yet?
- Senate President Cole, Speaker of the House Armstead Pledge to Defend West Virginia's Coal Mining Industry
- University to partner on $20 million scientific research grant
- Huntington Audit Recommendations Spur City Council Disagreement
- Super Heroes and Royalty Attract Throngs to Block Party IMAGES
- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: Lincoln Electric Celebrates 81 Uninterrupted Years of Paying Employee Profit-Sharing Bonus
- Complaint alleges Stockert-Sizemore Funeral Home violated the West Virginia Preneed Act and state Consumer Credit and Protection Act.
- Former A+ Care Pharmacy Sentenced to 64 Months in Federal Prison and Forfeited $2.3 Million and a Lexus
Special Metals Plans to Replace Spent Acid Tank in Service Since 1948
At the time of examination in the early 1990s, the EPA report indicated that the 50,000 gallon tank was one of three ground acid brick line concrete storage facilities. A Southeast tank and a Northwest tank stored 8,000 gallons each of hazardous waste. The smaller tanks were certified as closed January 17, 1983.
Waste managed at that particular tank, according to the EPA:
WASTE MANAGED: The following hazardous waste are neutralized in this unit:
1. Spent Pickling Acids.
2. Sludge from the pickling rinse water.
3. CopJHH Nickel spent plating solutions.
4. Dust from Air Pollution control units.
5. Spent Pickling solution from Off-site (Burnaugh
The report indicated that “there are no records concerning inspections conducted by Federal or State regulatory agencies prior to November 1980.”
( *The Atomic Energy Commission AEC leased Huntington (Reduction) Pilot Plant operated from 1952 until demolished in 1979, when classified portions were buried in Piketon, Ohio. The plant was on cold stand by from 1963-1978, when demolition began. AEC/NRC facilities had regulatory rules subject to “in house” interpretation.)
INGO, had been classified by the WV DEP as a hazardous waste storage, treatment and disposal (TSD) facility because characteristic and listed hazardous waste has been stored and/or disposed at the facility. A RGRA hazardous waste management (HWM) permit was issued on June 25, 1984 permitting INCO to operate three (3) HWM units consisting of two (2) container storage areas (hazardous waste containers and Baghouse dust containers) and an open top storage tank (Monel Tank).
At the time of assessment (1993), there were ten (10) satellite hazardous waste storage areas at the facility where hazardous wastes are generally stored and/or collected for less than 90 days. A list of satellite areas are included Areas of Concern.
The facility had an Industrial Waste Discharge (IWD) permit t1 (0187017) issued by the City of Huntington's Sanitary Board to discharge treated wastewater from its wastewater treatment plant to the city's sewer system.
This permit application was refiled on December 18, 1985. This permit became effective as of April 1, 1988 and wsd in effect until April 1, 1993.