- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: Sending Money to Countries That Hate Us Makes No Sense at All
- Marshall Athletics Ticket Office Hours Announced
- OP-ED: How About Another Christmas Truce?
- Calling all bird lovers! North Bend State Park’s Winter Wonder Weekend Jan. 16-18, 2015, is “For the Birds”
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Cutting loose the shackles of the past: Cuba and the US
- How Will a Good Ole' Boy Hollywood Treat Female 'Pleasures' in "Fifty Shades of Grey?'
- YEAR-END SPORTS OP-ED: Sports Crazy (or Just Crazy About Things That Matter Very Little)
- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- "American Sniper's" Breaks All January Records; Expect it to Wipe Out "Boy Next Door" and "Mortdecai"
- OP-ED: How Prosecutors Think
Marshall University Choral Union rehearsals begin Sept. 8
Monday, August 18, 2014 - 15:18 Special to HNN Provided by Marshall University
Open to any interested community members, Marshall University’s Choral Union will hold its first rehearsal of Handel’s “Messiah” at 7 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 8, in room 150 of Smith Music Hall on Marshall’s Huntington campus.
Following about a dozen Monday rehearsals, the group will perform with Marshall University’s orchestra at 7:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 4, and Sunday, Dec. 7, respectively, at the Fifth Avenue Baptist Church in downtown Huntington.
“ ‘Messiah’ is arguably the most well-known large work for a chorus and orchestra,” Wray said. “It’s a great opportunity as a conductor to be able to perform these types of works.”
Wray said this work of Handel tells the story of Jesus Christ, from Isaiah’s prophecy of salvation to the acclamation of the Messiah. It was first performed in London in the eighteenth century.
There are no membership fees to be a part of the group, but members are responsible for the purchase of their own music. For more information about joining the Marshall University Choral Union, contact Wray by phone at 304-696-2399 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. To stay up to date on rehearsals, visit the group’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MUchoralunion.