- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 16, 2014
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 15, 2014
- Five Detroit Men Arrested in Olive Street Drug Raid Following Bar Shooting
- Former Bank Vice President Made More than $1.4 Million in Bad Loans
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Sues For-Profit Corinthian Colleges for Predatory Lending Scheme; Bureau Seeks More than $500 Million In Relief For Borrowers of Corinthian’s Private Student Loans
- Potential Upscale Hotel Approved for Kinetic Park
- Suspected Drug Dealer Released on Bond Before Police Leave Scene of Arrest
- Grand opening of Visual Arts Center slated for Sept. 18-19
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 12, 2014
- Council Chairman Will Seek Input Concerning Gilespie Misdemeanor Conviction
Marshall University Choral Union rehearsals begin Sept. 8
Monday, August 18, 2014 - 15:18 Special to HNN Provided by Marshall University
Open to any interested community members, Marshall University’s Choral Union will hold its first rehearsal of Handel’s “Messiah” at 7 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 8, in room 150 of Smith Music Hall on Marshall’s Huntington campus.
Following about a dozen Monday rehearsals, the group will perform with Marshall University’s orchestra at 7:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 4, and Sunday, Dec. 7, respectively, at the Fifth Avenue Baptist Church in downtown Huntington.
“ ‘Messiah’ is arguably the most well-known large work for a chorus and orchestra,” Wray said. “It’s a great opportunity as a conductor to be able to perform these types of works.”
Wray said this work of Handel tells the story of Jesus Christ, from Isaiah’s prophecy of salvation to the acclamation of the Messiah. It was first performed in London in the eighteenth century.
There are no membership fees to be a part of the group, but members are responsible for the purchase of their own music. For more information about joining the Marshall University Choral Union, contact Wray by phone at 304-696-2399 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. To stay up to date on rehearsals, visit the group’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MUchoralunion.