- BOOK REVIEW: 'Leaving Time': A Good Introduction to Jodi Picoult's Works If You've Never Read Her; Fulfills Expectations If You're a Fan
- Marshall Football Rises In National Rankings
- BREAKING ... At Least Two Arrests After 15 to 20 Armed Police Officers Raid 919 24th Street
- "Fury" Twists Through World War II Foot Soldier Carnage
- River to Jail Nets two Arrests Monday Evening
- Bike license program offers security, vintage plates
- BREAKING ... Man Identified in Highlawn Shooting Death
- NAHB: Study Shows Substantial Regional Differences in New Single-Family Houses
- Councilman Asks for Lawmarker Intervention after Detroit Fugitive Returns, Again Arrested in Huntington
- Huntington Traffic Stop Nails Heroin Dealer
Marshall University Choral Union rehearsals begin Sept. 8
Monday, August 18, 2014 - 17:13 Updated 9 weeks ago Special to HNN Provided by Marshall University
Open to any interested community members, Marshall University's Choral Union will hold its first rehearsal of Handel's "Messiah" at 7 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 8, in room 150 of Smith Music Hall on Marshall's Huntington campus.
Following about a dozen Monday rehearsals, the group will perform with Marshall University's orchestra at 7:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 4, and Sunday, Dec. 7, respectively, at the Fifth Avenue Baptist Church in downtown Huntington.
" 'Messiah' is arguably the most well-known large work for a chorus and orchestra," Wray said. "It's a great opportunity as a conductor to be able to perform these types of works."
Wray said this work of Handel tells the story of Jesus Christ, from Isaiah's prophecy of salvation to the acclamation of the Messiah. It was first performed in London in the eighteenth century.
There are no membership fees to be a part of the group, but members are responsible for the purchase of their own music. For more information about joining the Marshall University Choral Union, contact Wray by phone at 304-696-2399 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. To stay up to date on rehearsals, visit the group's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MUchoralunion.
Direct Link to This Release