- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- Ginseng Harvest Returns as "Appalachian Outlaws"
- Will Smith's Caper Comedy Likely on Top; Can Lively 'Duff' Hold Strong? Click for Times
- New Year's Day Hike at Ritter Park
- Marshall University School of Medicine announces new administrative chair of radiation oncology
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Foreign and Domestic': Jake Mahegan: A.J. Tata's Answer to Lee Child's Jack Reacher
- OP-ED: Citizens Mobilize to Resist Undemocratic Corporate Water Grabs
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Remembering Robert E. Lee: American Patriot and Southern Hero
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Cutting loose the shackles of the past: Cuba and the US
- OP-ED: China’s Yuan will rival US dollar globally
Marshall University Choral Union rehearsals begin Sept. 8
Monday, August 18, 2014 - 17:13 Updated 27 weeks ago Special to HNN Provided by Marshall University
Open to any interested community members, Marshall University's Choral Union will hold its first rehearsal of Handel's "Messiah" at 7 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 8, in room 150 of Smith Music Hall on Marshall's Huntington campus.
Following about a dozen Monday rehearsals, the group will perform with Marshall University's orchestra at 7:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 4, and Sunday, Dec. 7, respectively, at the Fifth Avenue Baptist Church in downtown Huntington.
" 'Messiah' is arguably the most well-known large work for a chorus and orchestra," Wray said. "It's a great opportunity as a conductor to be able to perform these types of works."
Wray said this work of Handel tells the story of Jesus Christ, from Isaiah's prophecy of salvation to the acclamation of the Messiah. It was first performed in London in the eighteenth century.
There are no membership fees to be a part of the group, but members are responsible for the purchase of their own music. For more information about joining the Marshall University Choral Union, contact Wray by phone at 304-696-2399 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. To stay up to date on rehearsals, visit the group's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MUchoralunion.
Direct Link to This Release