- Improper Notice Apparently Given of Meeting that Removed Chairman Caserta
- UP CLOSE: Preparing to "Jump" and Taking the "Plunge" on Bridge Day Images
- Here Come the Costumes Before Halloween
- Original and Revised Ordiance Regarding City Leave Payouts
- Broadway’s Beauty and the Beast to Enchant Huntington
- OP-ED: Vanuatu and Tuvalu: inadequate response to human suffering
- Submit Potholes for Repair
- OP-ED: Great Speech in Selma, Mr. President!
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: US and Venezuela: Don’t fan the flames, put out the fire
- 'Goodbye Gauley Mountain' Screens Thursday at Marshall
Violauta duo to perform Aug. 28 and 29
The duo devotes this program to music that tells a story or draws a picture starting with Giorgio Signorile's "Two Miniatures," the first a charming depiction of a snowball followed by a nostalgic encounter between two individuals. Two folksongs by Hungarian composer Ferenc Farkas follow, and the first half of the program ends with "Three Characterizations" by Belgian composer Franz Constant.
The program's second half begins with two Latin dances by a composer/guitarist from French Guyana Fabrice Pierrat.� After that, the duo will play "Five Tableaux," a work inspired by the life and works of the Renaissance cleric, philosopher and mathematician Giordano Bruno by Czech guitarist/composer Stephan Rak. Bruno's teaching assignments led him from Italy to France, England and Germany before his return to Italy in 1593. He was tried and executed by the Roman Inquisition for heresy in 1600. The program will conclude with Armenian composer Laurent Boutros' "Amasia," a work depicting a hypothetical supercontinent that will someday join Asia with North America. Boutros employs a hypnotic repertoire of sounds to describe the joining of the two lands.
Alves and Dobbs both teach in the School of Music and Theatre at Marshall. Contact the School of Music and Theatre office at 304-696-3117 for more information.- See more at: http://www.marshall.edu/ucomm/university-communications-press-release-2/?pressid=3649#sthash.gPMA4qkM.dpuf