- AT&T Announces Nearly 60 Jobs Available in Huntington
- Huntington Council Agenda Contains Ordinance Allegedly Discriminating Against Disabled Councilwoman Thacker; Chairman Denies
- Three-part NASCAR special predominantly filmed in West Virginia
- Former Senator Kay Hagan and Former First Lady of West Virginia Gayle Manchin to Get Out The Vote for Hillary Clinton
- Hayes, RCBI, White to enter Harless Hall of Fame
- Pike County Murder Investigation: Update
- Huntington Holds Revivalization Planning Gathering at Arts Center
- Colley Testified Nuke Worker Compensation Protocol Broken
- Donald J. Trump Visiting Charleston
- Hydrogen Westlake Talks "Redemption," Erica Parrott
Man Indicted for Allegedly Defrauding Elderly Woman of More than $40,000
Prosecutors allege that William Modafari, also known as William Montuano, was a home improvement contractor who took advantage of an 88-year-old woman to the tune of more than $40,000 by doing little or no work, overcharging for minor repairs, or charging for items that never were used at her home.
On Wednesday, William Modafari was indicted on the following counts:
- Theft from the Elderly, a felony of the second degree (1 count)
- Theft from the Elderly, a felony of the third degree (2 counts)
- Theft from the Elderly, a felony of the fourth degree (14 counts)
- Theft from the Elderly, a felony of the fifth degree (2 counts)
- Misuse of Credit Card, a felony of the fourth degree (3 counts)
Attorneys with the Economic Crimes Unit, a division of the Consumer Protection Section, were appointed special prosecutors in the case by the Hamilton County Prosecutor. The Warren County Sheriff’s Office also assisted in the investigation.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine created the Economic Crimes Unit in 2011 to identify criminal conduct in consumer fraud cases and assist prosecuting attorneys in holding scammers criminally accountable. To date, 83 people have been convicted.
Consumers who suspect a scam should contact the Ohio Attorney General’s Office at 800-282-0515 or www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov.