- Public advocacy group retains Washington law firm to mount antitrust challenge to proposed Dow-DuPont merger
- Protecting the integrity of Social Security
- More than $200,000 in Heroin, Cocaine Seized as Part of Ongoing Drug Trafficking Investigation
- Questions About Proposed Department of Energy Budget Requests
- Mathematics awarded $170K grant from National Security Agency
- Man Dead in Marcum Terrace Shooting; Police Seek Suspect
- This Week in the West Virginia Senate
- Wilson family establishes endowed scholarship for medical students
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 19, 2014
- John Jasko, M.D., named Castle Connolly ‘Top Doctor’
Man Indicted for Allegedly Defrauding Elderly Woman of More than $40,000
Prosecutors allege that William Modafari, also known as William Montuano, was a home improvement contractor who took advantage of an 88-year-old woman to the tune of more than $40,000 by doing little or no work, overcharging for minor repairs, or charging for items that never were used at her home.
On Wednesday, William Modafari was indicted on the following counts:
- Theft from the Elderly, a felony of the second degree (1 count)
- Theft from the Elderly, a felony of the third degree (2 counts)
- Theft from the Elderly, a felony of the fourth degree (14 counts)
- Theft from the Elderly, a felony of the fifth degree (2 counts)
- Misuse of Credit Card, a felony of the fourth degree (3 counts)
Attorneys with the Economic Crimes Unit, a division of the Consumer Protection Section, were appointed special prosecutors in the case by the Hamilton County Prosecutor. The Warren County Sheriff’s Office also assisted in the investigation.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine created the Economic Crimes Unit in 2011 to identify criminal conduct in consumer fraud cases and assist prosecuting attorneys in holding scammers criminally accountable. To date, 83 people have been convicted.
Consumers who suspect a scam should contact the Ohio Attorney General’s Office at 800-282-0515 or www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov.