- Heroin Claims Another Huntington Life
- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- Ginseng Harvest Returns as "Appalachian Outlaws"
- UPDATING ... How Close will 'It Follows' be to 'Get Hard?'
- Pizza Hut, Go Mart Robbed in Huntington
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Celebrate the CCJ--and Empower It
- Huntington Celebrates Lifetimes of Making Magic
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Saint Patrick’s Day Tribute to General Patrick Cleburne—The Fighting Irishman
- SHELLY'S WORLD: The One That Got Away
- Op-ed: Essay on hope, Israel, Palestine, Bereaved Parents Circle
Huntington Mayor Speaks of Hope at Her Place Opening
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 22:59 Updated 29 weeks ago From Press Release
The idea for HER Place was birthed by Margaret Van Zandt in March after attending the funeral of a close friend who had lost her battle with addiction.
"We're trying to stop the intergenerational transmission of addiction," Van Zandt said. "It runs in families and we have to stop it somewhere."
Mayor Steve Williams also spoke during the event and said HER Place is an example of the community's resiliency.
"The beauty of HER Place is we are here to foster hope, to let those who are afflicted with disease know what this town is about," Williams said. "We are here to support one another."
For more information about HER Place, call 304-525-7394 or visit www.herplacehuntingronwv.org.